iPad Advice on buying used iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nabwong, Nov 2, 2013.

1. nabwong macrumors regular

Hello...

I'm looking to get a used iPad, either a 3rd or 4th gen. I won't be able to afford the air and maybe I won't need the latest tech to be honest. I need about 64gb. The Air would be $700 +tax, which is too much I think. I'm a musician, so I want to upload all my music (audio, video and score) so I can take it around for practice and performing. I guess I don't need the latest technology for that. But I do want the retina display. Could you help list some of the pros and cons and maybe a ballpark price of what I can expect to pay (fair price, doesn't have to be a hot deal) for a used one or ebay or craigslist? Thanks in advance.

2. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

I'd say iPad 3 Wi-Fi 32GB for best value.
    Music doesn't eat as much space as video.
    $300-$340 on eBay.
    Make sure there is no damage (scratches, cracks, chips) to the screen.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

You could also try to buy one off Glyde, pretty secure service.

4. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

5. nabwong, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

nabwong thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips so far. I cannot consider the Mini. I need to be able to read music and the 7.9" screen is a little too small. Perfect for reading self help books on how to overcome stage fright before a performance though. ;)

For my use, is there a big difference between the 3rd or 4th gen?

Don't game much. Words with friends kinda games.
    Web surfing
    Reading PDFs
    Watching netflix, amazon prime

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Kinda. I just sold my 3rd gen iPad. Truth is, 3rd gen iPad was something of an unwanted stepchild, too big and heavy, bad recharge times. Having said that, the screen quality on 3rd gen is excellent, build quality is solid. They are built like tanks.

3rd gen was out for less than a year, because Apple rushed it to market due to first iPad with retina screen. Then iPad 4th gen came out something like eight months later, and it was superior in every way to 3rd gen. A lot of 3rd gen retina owners were really pissed, you can read the outrage here on these forums if you go back a bit.

That's why 3rd gen iPads are pretty cheap, comparitively. You will have to step up in price to get a 4th gen, but it may be worth it if you need better portability. On the other hand, if money is major consideration, deals can be had on 3rd gen, it's still a decent machine.

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

ipad 3 and 4, same dimensions and weight.

8. tazz3 macrumors regular

Get a refurb from the apple store,back in April I got a refurb ipad4
    32 gig for499 from the apple store .when I opened the box it's new
    You can't even tell its refurbed I use it all the time.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Another consideration is that iPad 3 has 30-pin port, and 4 has lightning connector. So if you own other iDevices, one or other might be a better fit with your existing cables and peripherals.

10. nabwong thread starter macrumors regular

Advice on buying used iPad

Thanks for your help everyone. I managed to buy a 64gb wifi iPad 3 today for $300. Good deal? It's not perfect but in good condition. There a "smudge" on the bottom left that's only visible when the whole screen is absolute white. I guess it's internal cos I can't wipe it off. Doesn't bother me though. Other than that, some scuffs on the back which I'll get a skin to cover. Overall I'm happy. Retina screen is super awesome even if it's on a slower iPad. I did managed to try the new iPad air. It was quite impressive. Maybe I'll buy a used air in 2 years. ;)

11. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I am selling my 64GB 3rd gen AT&T on eBay with a $460?reserve but I'd make a deal here if someone paid the paypal fees.