Advice on buying!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richdj, Jan 24, 2008.

  1. Richdj macrumors member

    Jan 24, 2008
    my first thread ......
    i know there a re many threads about this..... the new MBP
    but i just need advice.
    Im currently a PC Laptop user (spit i know), my Sony Vaio was stolen 3 weeks ago in a burglary at my house, i had made the desicion a while back that i would upgrade to mac next time i got a new machine as vista was a no go for me!
    Im a freelance camera operator and have decided i need to learn Final cut pro for work purposes
    Ive made the desision to buy the 2.4ghz Macbook pro and put 4gb ram in it and buy Final Cut Studio 2.
    So as you can see im spending a hell of a lot, it will be my first mac.
    My friend told me to wait till the expo which i did, no new MBP but now i read there may be a new one out, the improved chip will make a real difference to me for video editing (6mb cache instead of 3)...... So do i wait or do i buy now currently without a laptop and using my old desktop... im not in a desperate rush... but if im still laptop less by march ill prob be p'd off.... similarly i have really bad luck lately and if im spending the amount i am, i want the best i can have... ill be gutted if i buy one now then i 2 weeks a new one is born!!! ...... ive read the other threads... buy now, dont buy now .... i know no one really knows but any advice on if i should wait or rush down to my local apple store tomorrow and snap one up.... bearing in mind what im using it for...
    thanks guys, looking forward to being part of a new forum as im no longer a vaio family boy! =0(
  2. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

    Jul 17, 2007
    I personally do not think that the MBP will be updated til March so I bought the one in my sig. I also waited til Macworld and with rumors of Penryn being delayed I just thought that the current one is fast enough for me so I went off and ordered it. If no one has told you do not buy your RAM from Apple. Looking at the regular Macbook's, it is $50 cheaper to buy 4GB of RAM seperate than to pay Apple to upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 2GB.
  3. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 24, 2008
    yeah cheers for the advice , the apple website wanted to charge me £400 (in uk) but my local reseller is putting it in for £60.00 .... bargin !!

    just want my transition to mac to be a happy experience i think lol... such a hard decision ......
  4. Steven Bao macrumors newbie

    Aug 28, 2007
    Cambridge, MA, USA
    Yeah - don't buy Apple RAM, get it from Newegg, it's fairly easy to install.
    Lifehacker has a good article on this: link.

    Good luck!
  5. Shackler macrumors 6502a


    Feb 3, 2007
    behind you!
    In your case, buy it now. its everything you need/want and more. you wont be doing anything any different with a new one.
    get it now IMO
  6. powerchord macrumors member

    Oct 4, 2007
    right where I am
    You may want to hold off a little bit longer if you can (if it's not gonna interfere with your work/plans, that is). Worst case scenario - you get the current model in a few weeks. Best case scenario, well you get the latest and greatest... :D

    Either way you look at it, you'll end up with a great machine!
  7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    The thing is, no one can say with any certainty when the new MBP will come out. It could be tomorrow, or 3 months from now. Since it sounds like you need it now, I would recommend purchasing it now.
  8. tveric macrumors 6502

    Jun 23, 2003
    If you need one NOW, buy one NOW.

    If you DON'T.... well, they'll be updated/price-dropped sometime between now and April. So I would wait.

  9. powerchord macrumors member

    Oct 4, 2007
    right where I am
    word. it may be sooner than you think ;)

Share This Page