Advice on "Camp" Guitar

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pilotError, Dec 19, 2008.

1. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

My kid is going to Camp next summer and I'm looking for a not too expensive acoustic guitar for him to bring along. He's been playing electric for about a year and he loves it. I'd like him to continue while he's away for most of the summer (Lucky kid).

I need something small, as there isn't a whole lot of room there.

I am primarily looking at a Martin Backpacker, but I may look at a 3/4 guitar like the Taylor Baby BT1. The problem there being that it's getting up there in price for something that may not survive the summer.

Anyone been to camp and have any suggestions?

He's not going to be performing (at least I doubt it), it's mainly so he doesn't lose what he's already learned.

I assume there's going to be other kids who are further along in their music and could teach him a thing or two as well.

Thanks,

Mike...

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Find something like a Walden D550 or a Yamaha FG700. Both of those should be $200. They are full-sized guitars. But I don't know your price range and I don't know the age and size of this kid you're buying for.

3. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend one of these two:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-LXM-Little-Martin-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515880

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...ny-Top-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=514967

Both are great guitars, and they're tuned to standard EADGBE tuning, so it won't be much different than any other guitar. The body and the scale length is slightly shorter so they're very portable. I played the Mini Martin at a Guitar Center and I was pleasantly pleased with it's playability and sound for under $300.

4. pilotError thread starter macrumors 68020

pilotError

Thanks for the replies, I ended up with the Martin Backpacker.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-?sku=512392

I looked at that first, but space is the issue. They pack em in like sardines!

SuperSnake2012: It's funny that you picked those two. I seriously looked at both of them and was leaning toward the Taylor Baby, but ultimately decided not to because of price. If the thing didn't make it home at the end of the summer, It would probably bother me. Every store I went to talked me out of getting it for that purpose.

The Backpacker seemed to be the best compromise on sound and size. Small enough to take with him and keep under his bunk. Not the best sound, but it's really for practicing, not performing.

My son is walking around the kitchen oblivious that I'm typing this and the guitar is sitting on the chair. LOL

Gotta love the Holidays!