Advice on changing AT&T Plan...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AMTYVLE, Mar 10, 2017.

1. AMTYVLE, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

AMTYVLE macrumors regular

AMTYVLE

Hey Guys. Need some advice on which plan to upgrade to. I currently have the AT&T Mobile Share Value 5GB with Rollover Data plan for the last year. I pay $70 a month total; receiving a 25% corp discount a month as well. I've been using a lot more data the past few months and want to upgrade my plan. When comparing new plans against my current plan I just don't know which to go with....

Do I go with the AT&T Unlimited Choice Data plan (single line) for $65.00 a month plus taxes, fees, etc. and lose my 25% Corp discount a month OR should I avoid the Unlimited plans and just upgrade to let's say....the 10GB Mobile Share Advantage plan for $80.00 a month (with my 25% corp. discount). I kind of don't need the Unlimited Data plans, but it would be nice to have. I think I would be happy with the 10GB/month data plan. I'm just having trouble deciding on which is better for the price/which plan is worth it.

Also, if you go with any of their Unlimited Data plans, you lose any Corp. Discount.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

2. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Before you get to price, you need to come to grips with speed.

The Unlimited Choice plan is only 3MBPS which is archaically slow. Are you sure you can live with it?

BJ

3. jetsam macrumors 6502

With Unlimited Choice, you lose the ability to tether. I almost never use tethering - but when I do, I really need it.

4. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

I honestly dont know who in their right minds would choose this plan. I would imagine most who choose this plan have no idea about the data speed.

Also, just to clarify, its 3mbps and not 3MBps. 3MBps would actually be reasonable.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Internet speed is always shown as mbps. For most people 3mbps is plenty fast enough. Unlimited streaming at that rate is perfect for most people. 480p video looks great on an iPhone. And yes I'm in my right mind and loving streaming audio and video all day long. I see no practical difference between the Choice plan and other full speed plans.

6. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

And you know what, you may be right. My LTE coverage is consistently between 40-50mpbs, so Im not willing to test slowing down to those speeds.

7. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Seriously? 3mbps is like having DSL from 1998.
    My home internet connection (standard internet from Charter) is 100mbps. I regularly get 50-60 on LTE. I couldn't go back to DSL speeds.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

He, he, my home connection is 200mbps. I don't download large files on my phone and see very little difference in regular use. Internet browsing is very similar. The limitation is not the connection speed but the internet and webservers in general.

9. AMTYVLE thread starter macrumors regular

AMTYVLE

Thanks everyone for the input! I will be staying away from the Unlimited plans and probably going with the 10GB a month plan!

10. ejfontenot macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

Switch to T-Mobile and get speed, data, and save money

11. AMTYVLE thread starter macrumors regular

AMTYVLE

T-Mobile service is horrible in my area. We call it T-NoMobile.

12. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

Unlimited or nothing.

13. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

> 10GB Mobile Share Advantage plan for $80.00 a month (with my 25% corp. discount).

That comes to ~$60 then. and rollover unused data.

I've found lately having better upload speeds has made whole smoother and nicer surfing experience. (45/6)

14. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It's really not that bad. 480p is not great quality, but it's still decent, especially on such a small screen. 3Mbps is fast enough to stream music, browse the web, check Facebook, use Google Maps, video chat, etc. Apps might take a couple of minutes to download, but they'll still download.

For most people, that is fast enough and they'll be happy to be able to use as much as they want without worrying about running out of data or getting overage charges.