Advice on checking a second hand IMAC 21.5"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Spaceman_79, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Spaceman_79 macrumors newbie

Spaceman_79

Hi,

My Macbook Pro from 2009 is starting to have some performance problems so I've been looking for a substitute. I want to switch to an Imac but I can only afford the 1.4Ghz 21.5" one, which from what I have read its quite overpriced if one considers its low performance vis-a-vis other models.

I've been searching for second hand options in my area and found one that is quite interesting. It's a 2.7Ghz 21.5" Imac (late-2013), 8 Go 1600 MHz DDR3, bought on February 2015. The price is 1200 CAD$ and includes apple care until February 2018. It's exactly what I was looking for so I'm quite excited, and the price seems to be Ok, considering that new it would be around 2000CAD$ (apple care and taxes included).

I've never bought a second hand mac before, so would like to ask the community here for advice on what should I check or ask the current owner about before considering buying it? :)

Thanks!

2. Spaceman_79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Spaceman_79

So many views and no comments at all :(

I'm going later on this evening to see the computer in person, please will really appreciate your help. I've been searching through the forum and have found some advice on checking Macbooks. These are helpful indeed, but would be great to have more specific advice. Thanks

3. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

I think you're describing the mid-level 21.5" iMac, which in the US sells for $1,299 before any sales or discounts. Yes, there would be no tax and you get the AppleCare, but not really worth it in my book. I'd rather have new.

Speaking of which, I just got a really good deal on a 2011 iMac, but I got really lucky and had to do some extra work to get it. That said, I've been watching the market for used iMacs and my impression is that, for the money, I'd just buy new. Try this math out: Buy a new mid level iMac as described above. Let's say you get $100 off by doing a little searching for a better price. That makes it $1200. Figure that you'll get 8 years out of it. That's $150 a year if you average it out. OK, now buy a four year old one for $600 and assume that it's only going to last another 4 years. It's still costing you $150 a year and it's old. I think the only reason these things are selling for what they are is there are so many people who "can't" afford to buy the a new one that it becomes a sellers market. I'm not saying there aren't financial realities which are going to force you to buy used, but I am saying I think you're going the short end of the stick. To me, a four year old iMac should be worth more like $400.

All of that said, even if it's a bad deal, you might want something a little older (2010, 2011). Throw an SSD into it and use if for a few years. Right now Apple is charging so much for SSDs and you really don't want to buy anything without one so a stop gap interim computer might serve you well.

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

For the Canadian market, $1200 sounds like a fair deal. Not great but not bad either.
    If it checks out ok then you should buy it especially since it has the 3 year warranty.

5. Spaceman_79, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

Spaceman_79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Spaceman_79

Hi, thanks for your responses.

Just answering to spatlese44, following your maths - if I've understood well how they work - this would be the deal: New 2000CAD$ (including apple care) / 8 years = 250CAD$ per year; (with a 200$ student discount it would be 225$/year); the one I'm buying 1200$ (apple care included) / 7.5 years (it's only 6 months old) = 150$, so the maths actually work pretty well on my favour, right? :)

* just in case it wasn't clear the second hand Imac 2.7Ghz (late-2013) is the current model on sale, which hasn't been actualized by apple since then. I guess this might have caused some confusion.Oh and 1200CAD$ are like 915US$ right now.

Thanks!