Advice on Choosing a Game Please??

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by JackRabbitSlims, Aug 16, 2011.

1. JackRabbitSlims macrumors member

Hi.

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any stretch of the imagination.

I have a MacBook (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB of Mem) which I realise is far from ideal for gaming.
    I may be looking at a new MBA in December if the $$ allow.

OK, so I'm looking for a game that I can play "on the road" - I'll be traveling throughout South East Asia and India for most of 2012 and I'd like something to help me pass the time in airports, Bus / Train trips etc. Prefer if I didn't have to use a mouse (but if I did, could someone recommend and great small, travel mouse please?)

I usually play FPS games (Halo, Kill Zone, etc) but will have a crack at anything you think is worth trying.
    Doesn't have to be free, but that would be a bonus.

any ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks.:D

2. macthismacthat macrumors member

macthismacthat

Hello, I would suggest to wait a little bit and buy Diablo 3(it's not released yet). I offer this suggestion thinking that you will buy a new MBA because frankly your current MB will have a hard time running it. Diablo is very interesting and it will have an excellent campaign story.
    Regards.

3. JackRabbitSlims thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

Any idea when D3 will release?, Will I need a mouse for this game?

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

No one knows and yes. Do you only want to play via trackpad?

5. JackRabbitSlims thread starter macrumors member

Prefer not to have a mouse.

As I will be traveling, adding another "Gadget" to the already long list of tech things in my bag is what I'm trying to avoid.

I wouldn't rule it out altogether if there is a small light durable option out there please say so??

Thanks.

6. 7254278 macrumors 68020

Civilization 4 or 5. . . No mouse needed. . .

7. JackRabbitSlims thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll take a look at that.

Cheers.

8. noatonement macrumors member

Rome: Total War

I play it on my MBP 13" without a mouse. It's actually a pretty fun game even when you take out the battles.

I see it as being a decent game for on the road.

When i get bored, i'll just hop on for anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes and complete a few turns, and maybe fight a battle then log off. It's quite addicting when you start moving large armies across the ocean to start attacking settlements.

You can also buy it off the app store, or from direct2drive, which is the easiest way to go. If your interested in online battles, i suggest buying the CD, as the game uses, GameRanger, and there are far more rooms for CD version than app version. If your only looking to play offline, just go with a digital download

9. JackRabbitSlims thread starter macrumors member

Cool, thanks Man!!

I'm not interested in the Online thing right now.

I'll look into what you suggest also.

Cheers.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't think Diablo III is a good idea for a game to play on the go whilst travelling especially in South East Asia or India as it requires an online connection to play even in single player. You have to connect to Blizzards servers whenever you want to play.

11. lykranian, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  12. deadwulfe, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I'd suggest Torchlight if you want a diablo style game. Trackpad use might get annoying since you have to click to do most things, but I'm biased since I still can't let go of using a mouse for games. There is a demo on Steam, though.

Worms Reloaded would be just as playable without a mouse.

I'm sure some of the regulars here might have some better suggestions.

13. JackRabbitSlims thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Lykranian.

Looking at the MBA as an Uber light travel laptop option right now - will also be an upgrade in specs from my current MacBook.

A desktop gaming unit would be nice - but ain't gonna happen right now.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

14. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The old Mac FPS game Marathon doesn't need a mouse, but the controls are a bit archaic by today's standards. You can download the engine (Aleph One) and the data files for free. There's also hi-res texture packs you can install.

15. lykranian, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014