Advice on completely wiping OSX

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bable, Dec 2, 2012.

1. bable macrumors newbie

So I gave MacOS a week and I won't flame about it but suffice to say it's not my cup of tea. I'd like to install Win 8 on it since I love the hardware/form plus I saw there's finally a decent trackpad driver out but I have a few questions.

I didn't get an install disk. If I decide win 8 is'nt worth it and I sell this MBP I hope I just download the ML installer from Apple.com and throw it on a flashdrive? Is it free from the store since I have a MBPr registered?

Would anyone be willing to point me towards a great tutorial? I've found a lot but there seems to be a lot of contrasting opinions about EFI booting for Win 8.

Are there any other big issues I might run into?

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If you have a recent system you can re-install ML directly from the internet.

Hold option key when starting up, select the wifi icon, enter your wifi password and away you go...

I did this recently on my 2011 MBP to reinstall to a brand new hard drive.

As to getting rid of OS X entirely - i'd suggest against it. Leave a 20gb partition there with OS X so you can do firmware updates if required. Just set the machine to boot Windows by default.

3. justperry, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can burn the image in Disk Utility(in Applications/Utilities), first double click the downloaded image, it will mount, then Open Disk Utility, you will see the image there, click on it and in the top there is a burn disk Icon, click it and of course insert a DVD, that would do the trick.

4. bable, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

bable thread starter macrumors newbie

I gotta say, the wifi os installer is pretty snazzy! And that's an excellent workaround, what's the smallest that partition could be? I wasn't rich enough for a big SSD :D