Advice on connecting a macbook to a studio display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JamesOL, Jul 15, 2009.

1. JamesOL macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I was generously given an old pre 2001 17" studio display monitor with a single ADC connector.

I want to connect it to my black macbook which has a mini DVI port. Is there anyway of doing this without resorting to buying the adapter which costs £100. Also, i was wondering if that would work anyway as the adapter seems to need an adc connection to the laptop anyhow....

any help would be much appreciated.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need one of these which allows you to connect a DVI source to an ADC monitor and then one of these which will connect a mini-display port source to DVI. Note that you only need single-link DVI as the resolution is not high enough to need dual-link. Also not I assume you have a new-enough Macbook to require a mini-display port adaptor: you should confirm this is the case and buy the appropriate adaptor if it is not.

3. JamesOL thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the help.

I have a mini-dvi port on my macbook, so i guess i'll need a mini-dvi to Dvi adapter. That should still work with the ADC adapter you suggested right?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. In fact if you take the time to read the store page for the ADC adaptor that is specifically mentioned as a use.