Advice on Dameware and Userlock Equivalents for Mac OS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by charlieotter48, Feb 25, 2011.

1. charlieotter48 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm a new member on this forum, and I don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but I was wondering about Mac equivalents for Dameware and Userlock.

I do a work study at my university with the IT department; my university has always had PC computer labs for students to use, but it has just opened an all-iMac computer lab (The iMacs are brand-new, and run OS X Snow Leopard). In the PC labs, the IT department uses the program 'Userlock' to manage user login sessions, restrict server access, etc., and 'Dameware' to remotely log on to lab computers for troubleshooting. These programs work well on PC, but they won't support the user to effect computers running Mac OS. My boss has asked me to find programs that could serve as equivalents of these to use with the iMacs, and quite frankly: I'm stumped. All I've been able to find by searching Google is information about running these programs on Mac OS, which isn't what I need; I need to affect computers running Mac OS from another Mac, at the least, and preferably from both Macs and PCs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Dameware's function sounds like something that could be replaced with Apple Remote Desktop 3 http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/. Or some other VNC solution.

Not sure about Userlock. Do your Macs participate in your AD domain?

B

3. charlieotter48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, we solved the Dameware problem with a program called VNC Viewer, which is similar to Apple Remote Desktop, so thank you, balamw, for that suggestion.

We're still looking for a UserLock equivalent (this is their site). The Macs do participate in our AD domain, but they have a different IP address than the rest of the campus. Anyone know what equivalent or other solution we could use? We're mostly concerned with restricting the amount of concurrent logins students have, and letting the system admins see who is logged in, and where. Thanks in advance!

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. charlieotter48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe, but does the Windows 2000 Resource Kit tool work on Mac OS as well? Also, since the iMacs are all participate in their own VPN, which is then, as a single unit, connected to the server for the main campus (the Mac Lab is in a different location), would controls that cover our on-campus network also apply to the Mac VPN?

Thanks!