Advice on data options for upcoming iPad3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BigFatCow, Mar 1, 2012.

1. BigFatCow macrumors newbie

I currently have AT&T "unlimited" data and will be getting the iPad 3. My main concern is what I should do when I don't have access to wifi. My 4S is not jailbroken (nor do I care to jailbreak it), so the only tether option I have is to dump my current plan and go with the tethered data plan. If I do this, will I be tied to the new contract for another two years? I really hope not because as soon as the iPhone goes LTE, I will be dumping AT&T and going to a competitor on general principle.
    Another wrench in this problem is if the Ipad 3 does come LTE ready, should I just get the month by month data plan offered since it will be faster than my current HSPA+? Also, does anyone know of a substantial difference between AT&T or Verizon LTE, other than coverage area?

2. appleii2mac macrumors regular

I don't think switching to the tiered data plan (required for tethering) on your iPhone 4s requires a new 2 yr contract. Realistically they're going to start throttling you anyway when you reach the 3GB (new) limit, which is the same as the tiered data plan.

3. deeddawg macrumors 603

On AT&T phone contracts, data plans are add-on "Features" which can be changed at will and do not affect your contract duration/renewal.

The only limitation is the unlimited iphone data plan is exit-only, once you give it up you cannot get it back. (cue the "but I got an exception!" posts)

If you're not using >3GB regularly today, I don't see any point in keeping the unlimited data.

By switching to the tiered plan you gain the ability to switch back and forth between the tethering and non-tethering plan if one month you need it and another month you don't. The plans will prorate. I've not done this myself so I'm unsure what happens if you switch plans mid-month and have used more than half the data allotment.