Advice on decorating 5 year old girls bedroom.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eclipse, Feb 5, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    anyone got any references to some nice girl's bedroom designs on the net? I need inspiration.

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

3. idesign245 macrumors 6502

I'm an interior design grad if you have any questions...

I'd recommend checking out www.whatisblik.com for some pretty sweet wall graphics which aren't permanent, so when she decides she's no longer into pink bunnies, you won't have to completely re-do her room!

Try not to go to literal, like if she likes pink bunnies don't put pink bunny related things everywhere (bed, walls, floors, ceiling, doors, windows, drapes, etc), but try to do it in a more conceptual way (think colour, texture, scale, proportion, line, etc).

Oh... and I always wanted a loft bed as a kid... if you have the ceiling height, I'm sure any kid would love one!

4. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Yeah, unless something REALLY grabs us we are probably going with fairly neutral white paints and pink girly accessories that aren't too expensive. So the "room" is neutral and able to change, but the pillow cases, wall art, etc can be changeable as she grows up and hits the teen years (and finally sacrifices her fairy princess themes on the altar of Gothic — hopefully nothing more sinister. :rolleyes: )

5. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, I'd recruit my sister to post here, but she's asleep. A post is coming tomorrow, I promise. :cool:

6. shadow.0000 macrumors newbie

Decorating a girl’s bedroom is great fun. A place to daydream, play games of imagination, study, play with dolls, sleep, put on some makeup and dream of a date with Prince Charming, a girl’s room is a special place that should be all hers.

Every little girl loves colors; to make her room a place she will love to spend time, pick out fabrics with floral patterns, cute animals, lady bugs, or maybe butterflies to create a kids room that delights the imagination.

You can make your own stencils on walls to add a colorful accent, and choose paint colors to match the fabrics or wallpaper. Add matching window treatments to give your girl’s bedroom a unique touch

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

8. bartelby macrumors Core

9. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

We went with a classic neutral wall colour, "American retro" or something, and painted the skirting boards and window frame and picture rails gloss-white. This was so that the room could last a while, and still be respectable to her when she's a teenager.

Then we went for all-out colour in the curtains, cushions, and removable stickies on the wall. These stickies are incredible... they just use some sort of plastic-static friction thing to "glue" to the wall but you can peel them off really easily. So around her very colourful bed the wall looks like a meadow from the wizard of Oz or something... long fantastic flower stems and flowers and bees and butterflies. Then there's the "wall" of bookshelves with colourful books and dolls and a dolls-house down one end, and more traditional toys and books the other end. It's a wonderful mix of conservative old time toys and books and more modern colourful stuff.

She absolutely loves her bedroom! And I'm glad we did it as well, because our smaller office is FORCED to be tidier and more efficient. Back when the rooms were swapped around she couldn't get herself ready for the day because everything was under piles of every other thing, and our office became the house junk yard with too many piles of stuff just 'lurking' there. These piles copulated in the night and grew! I'm sure that rubbish junk pile in the back right corner was breeding! An old file-fax system, a few boxes of stuff, then a roll of Christmas paper, then the pile was away... recruiting junk from the furthest corners of the house. It ended up being THE most intimidating part of the whole renovation, and that included getting rid of some dry rot we found in the wall and floorboards behind where my computer desk sat!

This pile of junk required deep breathing before tackling. It was a case of "I'm only going to pick up ONE thing, and deal with THAT, then I'm going to grab a coffee!" It was like a military manoeuvre, "Cover me, I'm going in! Object acquired. Now MOVE MOVE MOVE.... GET OUT OF THERE!"

Anyone else ever have to deal with one of these great lurking, guilt inducing, anxiety producing piles of debris? Why do they cause such stress?:confused:

10. Lutherkilf macrumors newbie

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Other than this thread being old, your sister's post didn't come.