Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I think I might need to upgrade the router that EE supply with their FTTC broadband. It’s currently struggling with the amount to device we have currently at the extremities of our house. My daughter’s iPhone is constantly running out of data as she’s on FaceTime a lot and phone keeps connecting to 4G as the wifi won’t cope.
The router I’ve been looking at is the ASUS AX5400 but at £200 it’s probably twice as much as I’d want to spend. Anyone got any other recommendations or experience of this router?

Thanks

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
Not cheap I’m afraid, but I went with the Amplifi HD and it just solved everything.

Went from dodgy coverage, where repeaters etc did little, to a simple solution that took 5 mins to set up. Been faultless, with regular updates. We now have coverage from the street outside to the back of the garden at the rear.

It will do what you want, but is slightly over budget I’m afraid. It’s been replaced by the Amplifi Alien system (wifi 6) so you might be able to get the HD system on ebay or somewhere for a reasonable price.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Thanks, looks good. I think that would come with the wifi but isn’t DSL? I think I’d need a dsl modem or to plug into my existing router and turn off its Wi-Fi. I’d rather have a single box solution.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I think I might need to upgrade the router that EE supply with their FTTC broadband. It’s currently struggling with the amount to device we have currently at the extremities of our house. My daughter’s iPhone is constantly running out of data as she’s on FaceTime a lot and phone keeps connecting to 4G as the wifi won’t cope.
The router I’ve been looking at is the ASUS AX5400 but at £200 it’s probably twice as much as I’d want to spend. Anyone got any other recommendations or experience of this router?

Thanks
I use the ASUS RT-AX82U AX5400, no dsl as I need to use the fibre modem that is attached to my wall.

I couldn’t recommend it highly enough, I use it with BT fibre to the premise. I’m able to get 450-600mbps on WiFi with it with 9 or 10 devices connected.

On cable I’m able to pull my full 1200mbps bandwidth without throttling.

Set up is easy, and it has nearly any feature you want for managing devices and connections.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I just did a speed test and I’m pulling 400 on the floor up and on the other side of the house.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I use the ASUS RT-AX82U AX5400, no dsl as I need to use the fibre modem that is attached to my wall.

I couldn’t recommend it highly enough, I use it with BT fibre to the premise. I’m able to get 450-600mbps on WiFi with it with 9 or 10 devices connected.

On cable I’m able to pull my full 1200mbps bandwidth without throttling.

Set up is easy, and it has nearly any feature you want for managing devices and connections.
Good to know thanks. Don’t really want to spend £200 but I suppose I’ve spent quite a bit more on devices that can’t access the internet properly.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
This is what happens when you live in a Castle.....:p

Most BB works all around the house, unless you have multiple wings...;)
Don't EE have WiFi extenders (similar to BT)?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
"Anyone got any other recommendations..."
One-Word-Plastics.jpg

I've got just one word for you, son...
"Mesh".

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I use a Draytek Vigor 130 modem and a separate router. I went for a separate modem a few years ago as I wanted to use an AirPort Extreme for all the routing and wifi, but that got a bit long in the tooth so I switched recently to a Linksys Velop mesh system for the routing / wifi and kept the same modem. A few people on here have complained about the Velops in the past but they've given me no trouble and I get good throughput all over the house: setup was a bit finicky (the user guide doesn't actually describe the sequence of lights you get on top of the router during setup correctly, so I thought it wasn't working when it actually was). Whether you need a mesh system or not depends on the size of your house though, so have a look at a few reviews that mention coverage distances for the ones you're considering and see if a single-router system would be enough. If you do look at a mesh system, make sure it supports PPPoE connections: IIRC Eero doesn't, for example, so is useless as the sole router with a UK FTTC install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.