Advice on dual internal setup, 1 ssd, 1 stock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capn00, Oct 21, 2009.

1. capn00 macrumors newbie

So, I finally have all my parts in to perform my ssd install. Plan to put the x25 80Gb drive in the optical bay with the adapter (ebay version of optibay). Will continue to use the stock 320 in the stock location.

Plan is to install SL on the ssd and run it as my boot, user, and application drive while using the 320 for all data files (music, photos, files, etc.).

I am still unsure of the proper, or best way to import my user information on the ssd once I install SL. Can you move just User and App information to the drive with Migration assistant? I know cloning isn't really a good option as again I don't want data on the ssd. I have read how some people have done it, but just looking to see if any has any advice, or good links on the best approach to this issue.

Or, should I just go with a clean install and then manually install my apps on the ssd. I really don't have that many and that is an option for me.

Thanks

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I did just the opposite. Used the SSD as main drive and a WD 500 Blue in Optibay. If you read back through the optibay thread, some people had issues with installing the SSD in the optical's place. The default startup is where your original drive is too.

I use the 500 for near everything storage wise but use the SSD as the startup and main system drive holding most used app.'s. The 500 also has a time machine backup and I left Leopard on there so I can boot in either OS easily.

I did a format and clean install of SL on the SSD using the optical unchanged. After it booted successfully in SL, then did the optibay switch. Ran Migration asst. using the old HDD data from the optibay drive. My advice is to do the mod. in increments. That way if there's a problem it's much easier to track down culprit.

3. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I'm with MacGuy. I put the SSD on the main drive and my stock 250gb on the Optibay case. The way I did it... I did a time machine back up (time capsule but you can use any external drive), then installed a fresh copy of Snow leopard and use the Time Machine back up option. Once that was working, I removed the superdrive and installed the Optibay case with HD. Formatted that drive and moved large files (photo's mostly and some music) into that drive. Now my Macbook Pro is superfast (boots and runs from the SSD) and I have enough room to take everything with me. It's awesome. Start in stages. Get your SSD running with you OS/back up image and then install 320gb in the optibay.

Good luck, you will not be disappointed.

4. capn00 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to go with the ssd in optical bay in order to be able to upgrade to the WD 750GB drive in the main spot later.

I was hoping that the sleep issues had been corrected with utilizing the boot drive in the optical bay, and I remember one user having success with this, but the overwhelming majority still seem to point to having issues under this setup...

Thanks for the advice so far.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Don't you want your SSD to be default startup drive? Actually swapping optibay HDD is easier once SD is out and optibay is in than swapping the standard disk.

6. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

So off-topic but I've almost posted this four or five other times... whenever I see your avatar, all I can think is, "Pretty good..pretty......pretty good".

I actually can contribute something though. I almost did this SSD & HD option and would have used the SSD in the main slot with the HD in the optical bay, as others have mentioned.