Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Hi all, I currently have late 2013 13" MBPro with 2 TB2/DP ports and an HDMI port which is still going strong. I am also sorely tempted by 2020 13" MBPro 10th gen (4TB3 ports). Im looking to get two Dell 24" 2560 x 1440 USB-C monitors (P2421DC) for a work-from-home setup, and was wondering if I could do either of the following?

2013 MBPro:connect using two DP-to-miniDP wires (as opposed to one DP-to-miniDP and one DP-to-HDMI), as it would keep the connectors and the power cable all on one side of the MBP). Will both monitors be at 2560 x 1440? Or does one of the connections have to be through the HDMI port?

2020 MBPro: my dream was to daisy chain the two Dell monitors (they are designed specifically for this) and have one USB-C cable going to the MBPro for both monitor data feed and charging the laptop - but it seems MacOS doesn't support providing two extended desktops using this method (MST), which is a huge bummer! Could I then just connect each monitor using their USB-C cables (taking up two USB-C ports on the MBPro)? Would this cause any issues with the MBPro being able to charge from the monitor if both monitors are connected by their own USB-C?

Thanks in advance!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Apple doesn't support Displayport MST as you note.

You can use something like a Caldigit TB3 dock - I do this with my MBP15 to have a single cable connection to the MBP in clamshell mode and drive two monitors. This also gives you a decent docking scenario.

You should also be able to use both monitors by connecting to two ports - but I've not tried that so can't comment with experience on it.

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
This will be my next puzzle to solve. I’ve got my 13in MacBook Pro on order but I’ve got 2 x 24in 1080p screens that must be well over 10 years old. Still work fine but of course but I’d like to move to QHD or more ideally 4K probably on 27 inch sized screens.

However yet to see anyone talk about driving external screens with the laptop and the performance. I mean I might also go for an eGPU but ideally I’d like it to be able to drive both 4K screens without getting laggy. I think the iGPU really should be up to it but just be good for someone to confirm. Otherwise I’ll be taking the plunge myself I guess in the dark. Always that eGPU option if doesn’t workout.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Apple doesn't support Displayport MST as you note.

You can use something like a Caldigit TB3 dock - I do this with my MBP15 to have a single cable connection to the MBP in clamshell mode and drive two monitors. This also gives you a decent docking scenario.

You should also be able to use both monitors by connecting to two ports - but I've not tried that so can't comment with experience on it.

Thanks - I'd rather not have to buy a dock, as in my use case I have need for the extra docketing features

Its so crazy that Apple doesn't support MST given it only supplies TB3/ports and the hardware itself supports it. So much for keeping it simple!!!

This will be my next puzzle to solve. I’ve got my 13in MacBook Pro on order but I’ve got 2 x 24in 1080p screens that must be well over 10 years old. Still work fine but of course but I’d like to move to QHD or more ideally 4K probably on 27 inch sized screens.

However yet to see anyone talk about driving external screens with the laptop and the performance. I mean I might also go for an eGPU but ideally I’d like it to be able to drive both 4K screens without getting laggy. I think the iGPU really should be up to it but just be good for someone to confirm. Otherwise I’ll be taking the plunge myself I guess in the dark. Always that eGPU option if doesn’t workout.

At work, I've used my 2013 MBP to drive 2 27" Dell monitors, one with miniDP and one with HDMI and it worked fine. Pretty sure they were both QHD - but cant get back to work to find out! Havent tried both with miniDP at teh same time yet though, which is what Im interested in doing to have all cables on one side.

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
At work, I've used my 2013 MBP to drive 2 27" Dell monitors, one with miniDP and one with HDMI and it worked fine. Pretty sure they were both QHD - but cant get back to work to find out! Havent tried both with miniDP at teh same time yet though, which is what Im interested in doing to have all cables on one side.

Ideally I’d like a single cable if I can. I’ve got a Lenovo Thunderbolt Graphics Dock with my work Lenovo. That’s got a GeForce 1050 in it along with 3 display outputs, Ethernet and some USB ports. It’s really nice just having the single cable and I’d stick with that if Apple supported Nvidia graphics cards... but they don’t.

Hence would like a solution which works on the MacBook Pro 13 but also I can use with my work laptop when I need to use that.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Ideally I’d like a single cable if I can. I’ve got a Lenovo Thunderbolt Graphics Dock with my work Lenovo. That’s got a GeForce 1050 in it along with 3 display outputs, Ethernet and some USB ports. It’s really nice just having the single cable and I’d stick with that if Apple supported Nvidia graphics cards... but they don’t.

Hence would like a solution which works on the MacBook Pro 13 but also I can use with my work laptop when I need to use that.
exactly my problem, and may not be possible without dock, which would be really frustrating.

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
HDMI is limited more than DP is on the 2013. I'd use two mini DP to DP adapters to hook up monitors to the 2013. It should be able to run two 1440p monitors. I run two 4k monitors using the mini DP to DP dongles on my mid-2015 15". It runs hot as hell and thermal throttles (M370X is a crap GPU lol...the older nVidia ones don't put off as much heat) but it does run them. 1440p is honestly probably what I should have done. But hey, I like how sharp the screens are haha

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
exactly my problem, and may not be possible without dock, which would be really frustrating.

I don’t think a dock is an issue. I’ve got Ethernet to my desk so would want to stick with that plus you can have keyboard / mouse hooked up if not wireless (I’m not currently).

It should allow the single cable solution though to be honest I’m not too worried about 2 say, my work laptop only has 1 Thunderbolt 3 port though, the other is just normal USB C.

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland

I’ve got two monitors connected via CalDigit mini dock. It’s a bit more affordable. HDMI out x2 up to 4K.

Then there’s a third monitor connected via USB-C/TB3, directly. LG 5K. It provides 3 additional USB-C ports. No video chaining though.

Three-monitor stand.

It’s all been working fine. The two wires (total) must be connected to opposite sides. The charging monitor preferably to the right side. For some reason the left port makes the Mac run hotter, due to internal wiring or something.

There’s more than 10 devices and drives connected to the dock and monitors via USB-C and USB3. It’s two wires to connect, but quite a lot can happen through them. MacBook 16”.

In short: One wire for two monitors with the mini dock works well, and with an USB3 hub it can connect to more peripherals through that same single wire. 3 monitors requires 2 wires.

Edit: Note that CalDigit mini dock doesn’t provide charging. No power brick. So, charging would still need to be a separate port, if not a 3rd monitor. I realize that’s a bit of a bummer, but I already wrote this, so there you go...

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
That sounds like a very nice setup indeed. I’ll be on a 13in so I’ll need an eGPU if going for three screens. I have considered it of course... want a pair of new 4K screens though first.

Need to workout if the size. On 24in currently and wife has a single 32in but I feel that might be a little too large personally. So thinking 2x 27in...

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I’ve got two monitors connected via CalDigit mini dock. It’s a bit more affordable. HDMI out x2 up to 4K.

Then there’s a third monitor connected via USB-C/TB3, directly. LG 5K. It provides 3 additional USB-C ports. No video chaining though.

Three-monitor stand.

It’s all been working fine. The two wires (total) must be connected to opposite sides. The charging monitor preferably to the right side. For some reason the left port makes the Mac run hotter, due to internal wiring or something.

There’s more than 10 devices and drives connected to the dock and monitors via USB-C and USB3. It’s two wires to connect, but quite a lot can happen through them. MacBook 16”.

In short: One wire for two monitors with the mini dock works well, and with an USB3 hub it can connect to more peripherals through that same single wire. 3 monitors requires 2 wires.

Edit: Note that CalDigit mini dock doesn’t provide charging. No power brick. So, charging would still need to be a separate port, if not a 3rd monitor. I realize that’s a bit of a bummer, but I already wrote this, so there you go...

Thank you this is helpful, still wondering what would happen I you just connect two USB-C monitors directly, relying on the monitor(s) to also provide power delivery.

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
Thank you this is helpful, still wondering what would happen I you just connect two USB-C monitors directly, relying on the monitor(s) to also provide power delivery.

That was one setup I tested on 16”. It works, as long as the monitors are plugged in to opposite sides. Whichever port provides most power, will be used as the power source. If none provide enough power, the battery will slowly drain, or go up and down, depending on system load.

Under-powered source will make battery health (via Coconut Battery) appear to go down over time, but it goes back up, if the Mac spends overnight with the original brick every now and then.

13” doesn’t need as much power, so a lesser monitor could be able to supply enough. LG 5K is enough for the 16”. Lenovo P24h isn’t.
[automerge]1589354342[/automerge]
Need to workout if the size. On 24in currently and wife has a single 32in but I feel that might be a little too large personally. So thinking 2x 27in...

32in would be visibly grainy at 4K, especially with text. For a retina style HiDPI mode display it needs to be max 27” at 5K. Which is still a costly choice. At 4K it can’t then be any bigger than 27” for good image quality.

I would personally buy 2x 24” 4Ks, if they made those. But they too are rare. Those would look good at HiDPI mode.

30+” side by side, with nothing in the center, that sounds like a recipe for neck pain over time. It’ll be like watching a tennis match all day, at the net.

I’d suggest that 2x 4K 27” will provide a better overall experience. It looks less impressive at first, but the added DPI and more manageable field of view should be better for productivity.

RDM.app is great for switching to custom resolutions. The settings will survive a reboot too.

Last edited:

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
That was one setup I tested on 16”. It works, as long as the monitors are plugged in to opposite sides. Whichever port provides most power, will be used as the power source. If none provide enough power, the battery will slowly drain, or go up and down, depending on system load.

Under-powered source will make battery health (via Coconut Battery) appear to go down over time, but it goes back up, if the Mac spends overnight with the original brick every now and then.

13” doesn’t need as much power, so a lesser monitor could be able to supply enough. LG 5K is enough for the 16”. Lenovo P24h isn’t.
[automerge]1589354342[/automerge]

32in would be visibly grainy at 4K, especially with text. For a retina style HiDPI mode display it needs to be max 27” at 5K. Which is still a costly choice. At 4K it can’t then be any bigger than 27” for good image quality.

I would personally buy 2x 24” 4Ks, if they made those. But they too are rare. Those would look good at HiDPI mode.

30+” side by side, with nothing in the center, that sounds like a recipe for neck pain over time. It’ll be like watching a tennis match all day, at the net.

I’d suggest that 2x 4K 27” will provide a better overall experience. It looks less impressive at first, but the added DPI and more manageable field of view should be better for productivity.

RDM.app is great for switching to custom resolutions. The settings will survive a reboot too.

Thanks for the feedback. Needing to to plug in on both sides is extremely disappointing and ruins the whole clean concept - might as well stick with my late 2013 MBP and save $2K. Still looking for anyone who has plugged into two monitors using the the two mini display ports on an older MBP like mine (instead of one mini display port and one HDMI on other side)

My current 32" LG at 1080p leaves much to be desired, PPI probably in the 60s. the 24" Dell im looking at has PPI of 123, about half of MBP Retina display but it will make text much sharper then Im getting now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.