advice on educational and HE discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ashjamben, Oct 29, 2007.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reading this and helping me out.

i'm currently at college (the uk kind of college, so i guess that high school for americans?) and i'm going to be off to university at the end of this academic year. I thinking of buying a macbook pretty soon, dependant on rumored updates and whatnot which i'll not talk about here.

all i'm concerned about if the difference between educational discount and HE (ie, university students) discounts. i hear HE discount is more than educational discount, which is what i would be able to get.

in this case i'll be buying a macbook and probably some accessories such as a case and maybe a mighty mouse, so if its only about 50 quid difference in discount i'd rather just buy one now rather than waiting 6 months until i'm at university. what i'm more interested in is applecare. i read that apple care is ALOT cheaper with the HE discount. is this true? could anyone give a definate difference between the two discounts?

any helped would be much appreciated, thanks alot :)

2. Charlie.naylor macrumors newbie

The HE discount is amazing, for example, a top of the range imac is 1200 instead of 1400ish i think..

ill check and get some proper figures now:

the range of macbooks are in order of specs on the uk website:

699. 829. 949.

from the HE website they are;

601. 713. 816.

thats a pretty sweet discount, and you get better discounts the more you pay.. i think up to 200 for macpros.

oh also leopard is £30 cheaper..

this is all in pounds btw.

Oh and another thing, as the us dollar is so weak right now, you save even more if you went to buy a mac from the states :p

3. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

they are pretty good prices. the lowest spec macbook on the educational website is £652, which compared to HE discount is £50 cheaper!

any news about applecare?

Edit: just noticed on the apple website three different educational sub-types. theres education, further education and higher education. only education and higher education have websites and further education is just done by ordering by phone. i am currently in further education, so discount that way may be as much as HE discount. if anyone could help me out with how much applecare costs with HE discount i'll ring up and compare prices.

thanks

4. Charlie.naylor macrumors newbie

oh one sec, apple care for macbook i presume....

199 on normal..

47 on HE :)

5. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks alot for the quick reply. i'm definetly gonna give them a call and find out if i could get as much discount as HE with FE. if not, i may wait until i'm off to uni to purchase my first mac. saving £150 on applecare and £50 on the macbook, i think its worth the wait. plus by then i may be able to save up enough money to buy a MBP :)

6. zygo macrumors member

Phone!!!

The educational discount available through websites (unless you're on a uni server) are normal/further ed prices.

HE discount is quite a bit cheaper! I can't remember exactly how much cheaper it is, but I have bought a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro this year on HE, after calculating cost on the Edu website I phoned them up and got the HE prices-saved over £100 on the laptop and probably between £200-£400 on the Mac Pro (bought display as well).

It's worth a phone call/email.

Not to sure about the difference in Apple Care. I got mine for my laptop for about £50.

7. emac82 macrumors 6502

8. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

higher educaton discount, ie university level

(FE) further education discount, ie colleges (UK) or six form

Education discount, schools

HE discount is more than educational discount. FE discount is unknown to me yet as it doesn't have its own dedicated web shop, and simply says to ring the apple shop.

could someone do me a huge favour? get me the seperate costs of the lowest spec macbook, applecare for a macbook and logic express. i'm going to ring up soon to ask about the FE discount as it doesn't have a website specifically for it. i'm hoping it'll be as much as HE discount but we'll have to see. i'll let everyone know once i've found out

thanks

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Please note that the low priced AppleCare is available only if you purchase it at the same time as the Mac.

If you purchase it later, it won't be cheap. Three of my friends have been caught by this.