Advice on exchanging 7 for 7+ on upgrade program please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwiceNightly, Oct 2, 2016.

1. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

Hi all,

I got an iPhone 7 128gb last Friday on the Apple Upgrade Program (UK).

I'm starting to regret my decision and wish I'd gone for a 7+ now and I'm wondering if there's a way I can do it some other way than waiting for the store to get stock of the plus, which looks very unlikely to happen within my 14 day exchange period which ends next Friday?

I wish I would have waited. I'm constantly refreshing the in-store reservation page but having no luck finding a plus in any of the three stores near me :-(

Any help or advice anyone? Please? If not I guess I'm stuck with the 7 this year and will have to go plus next year :-(

2. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

rmeadejr

Do you have to go through the upgrade program? I saw a few people saying to use the Apple App, instead.

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

4. jayinla macrumors regular

Once you purchase through the iPhone Upgrade Program you have 14 days to return device and dissolve agreement. In that time if you find another phone through Apple to replace, Apple will treat it like a return and purchase again through the program. Must be purchased through Apple though.

5. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

If you end up outside the 14 day return period then i think you will be stuffed. Its the same as buying a phone and wanting to exchange it outside the 14 return period. Your only option would be to sell the phone and pay off the full 23/24 balance with Apple and start afresh. So best thing is to return the phone and walk away and try again when plus models are readily available,

6. TwiceNightly thread starter macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I called Apple and also the Apple Store directly, both told me that if I want a 7+ then I've just got to keep trying to reserve one.

My 14 days ends this Friday so I may give the 7 back and just get a 6s Plus again as there are no 7+'s in the whole of the UK at the moment by the look of it.

7. TwiceNightly thread starter macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

I was very lucky today, I managed to check the reservations site at just the right time and got myself a 128gb 7+!

One thing worth noting for anyone else in my situation is that if you move from a 7 to a plus this needs a credit check for the plus before they take back the 7.

Really happy with this (I'm posting this from it) and very happy I managed to get one!

8. philliez98 macrumors newbie

philliez98

Congrats. I had same situation where I got the 7 and was able to reserve 7 Plus and had to return to reinstate my upgrade to get the plus. Was within the return period and a bit of a pain but it's better to get it done and have no regrets.

9. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

i returned a 7 (iup, apple online order)
    i have a 7 + jb on order now (iup, apple online order)

would it be better to buy an SE out right in an apple store, to use as a temp phone, instead of doing yet another credit check-say to reserve a silver + in store?, that i'd have to return in 2 weeks)
    (i have to return this 7 this Thurs, day 14 for a return)

with exchanges/returns, do they check your credit every time?
    i plan on doing this about a year from now, too with the 8 or w/e it will be called

jw, thanks

sorry this is a little confusing

edit: this is my first time doing the IUP
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2016 ---
    i'm sorry 4 double posting, how was it a pain ?

10. philliez98 macrumors newbie

philliez98

Had originally bought through att reseller and then reserved the plus at Apple Store. I had excused my 6 plus originally then had to pick it up and return to att to ensure I got promo trade in credit on my account.

11. TwiceNightly thread starter macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

When you reserve an iPhone to pick up in store using the Apple Upgrade Program reservation page it basically just puts an iPhone aside for you - you don't pay for it and aren't credit checked.

When you visit the store to buy the phone that is when the credit check takes place, if you are exchanging it works like this (the guy in the store showed me it on his device)...

If you are exchanging "like for like", for example you have a 7 Black and want a 7 White, then this is just treated as an exchange with no new credit check or agreement

If you are exchanging up (like I did), for example going from a 7 to a 7 plus then the way that they do it is to credit check and agree the new phone and then cancel the old one and it's credit agreement. This means that at one point there will be two lines of credit open until they close the old one. The reason they do this (they told me) is that if they cancel the old phone first and then you fail the credit check for the new one then you would have to go home without a phone.

I hope that helps.