Advice on External Back-Up HD...ready to go vs. built

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmwpowere36m3, Jun 6, 2008.

1. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I'm finally looking for an external HD to back-up my MBP and my home windows PC. I was thinking of getting a 500GB HD, I think that should be plenty. Now I'm not sure what to get, either a ready to go one like WD Passport vs. buying a case & HD.

I was looking at this combo:

Case: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182123

HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

I'm not really looking to add a eSATA card, so to get MAX transfer speed I'm looking for a HD with Firewire 800 capabilities. I would like to get a very reliable drive as well.

Finally what do you guys usually use to back-up files, just drag and drop files or Apple's Time Machine or another program. Also to be able to use this on my MBP and windows PC how should the HD be formatted? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

OWC hard drives are not for everyone because they do cost a little more than their competitors. Still, they are the best in my opinion. I have a 250 GB Elite Pro Classic, which I bought 4 years ago:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/usb/eliteclassic

It has been wonderful, both reliable and stone silent. Highly recommended. After all, you get what you pay for.

5. steeler macrumors regular

I'm firmly in the "build your own drive" camp. By building, I can select the HD I want and pair it with the enclosure and features I want. Then, if/when the HD dies, I know I can replace it easily. I also know that I can upgrade to a larger drive in the future with very little trouble and put the smaller drive to use elsewhere (file server, etc.).

I believe you can get the OWC (macsales.com) enclosures empty if you like, they're very good enclosures, from what I've heard. I haven't used them personally.

6. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any recommendations as to enclosures? I've always used maxtor HD w/o any problems, but I've heard many say that they are failure prone. I hear Western Digital HD are solid, right?

7. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Look at the warranty. Seagates have 5 year warranties, and that's what I use.

Get the enclosure that fits your need. I'd get at least a FW800 / USB 2.0 case so that u get the fast FW on your MBP, and USB 2 is pretty decent on your Windows PC, unless your PC has FW400.

This is why I like to build my own - like a previous poster stated - choose the mechanism and the enclosure and then put em together. :)

As for the enclosure chipset - Oxford Semi chipsets are the best, IMHO.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

there is a 500GB enclosure on fry's electronic's website that has every interface your heart desires: eSATA/USB2.0/FW800/FW400 for 129.99.

I'd get it. The enclosure (if bought separately on newegg) is ~90. You can take the HD (A 500 GB for ~$30!!) and sell it for cheap.

edit: after reviewing your links, that enclosure looks similar to the one fry's is selling (prebuilt)

http://shop3.frys.com/product/5517070?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

OWC enclosures are pretty nice i guess. I just pulled a 2.5" 500GB samsung out of one to put into a customer's Macbook Pro. Heatsink design is ingenious, though weird, because it doesnt let a lot of air flow underneath..

9. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the enclosure you posted is $179.99, so the the enclosure and HD I posted are good then...

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

ah.

it was 129 last night on sale. I guess i didnt catch the end date which i guess was today.