Advice on external hard drive for 13" rMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CentralFC, Jul 1, 2014.

1. CentralFC macrumors member

Hello again! I was hoping some of you could give me a more focused narrative on external hard drives for the most recent version of the 13" rMBP with 4GB RAM and 128 GB storage.

It's more or less for backing up files, word documents, etc. I don't use any pressing applications: no Photoshop, Illustrator, video gaming, or music software.

The extent to which I use the laptop includes basic necessities such as Spotify, Word, Excel, Outlook, and web browsing. I know it may seem like overkill, but I don't want to risk losing my work again after my recent "accident."

Any advice guys? Google's search results are definitively scattered and I have yet to locate any sound advice on external HDs and I hesitate talking to anyone at local stores.

I really appreciate it in advance.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Any USB 3 drive with greater capacity that your internal drive will work just fine for backups.

Another option is to get a Time Capsule that has a wifi base station, a small ethernet switch, and a hard drive for backups. The HD is available in several sizes.