Advice on framing for Rowing video...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nateo200, Mar 7, 2012.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hi guys! Been a while since I posted in here but I need some advice. Me and a friend were both rowers (http://www.townandcountrytravelmag.com/cm/tandctravel/images/crew-team-boston-fb-15404010.jpg) for about 5-6 years in high school and coincidally both have an interest in video/cinematography. He made some talks about making a video of some of the races now that we are in college....Obviously DSLR's seam to be better for still stuff but I think rowing is a beautiful sport and I haven't really seen too much footage I liked of rowing that I liked as most of it is to video like.

So my question is how should I even go about capturing the essence of rowing? I was thinking about throwing a first person GoPro camera in with the coxswains for a practice/race, then having me and my friend try various angles with out DSLR's...I was thinking one of us in the motor boat that follows and one of us on land.

My friend has a Canon 7D with a 50mm 1.8 and a Canon 135mm zoom lens and I have a Canon 550D with the stock 18-55mm lens. Any suggestions on how we can make a video with a very cinematic look and very professional looking? Probably not any serious budget but most defiantly room to rent lens, shotgun mics, etc.

One thing I was thinking about was the framing of the video, I feel like 16:9 is a nice aspect ratio and that anything wider would be a bit constricting on the shots (I even considered a 1080x1920 aspect ratio for a "tall" video but it seams a bit ridiculous).

My coach is a really nice guy and he's let people do video's in the past and is supportive of anything that puts the sport out there.

2. mBox macrumors 68020

I like some of the shots done in "Social Network".
    I would suggest a GoPro due to its water-proof option.
    Not sure about using DSLRs for sport type shots.
    Never used it for that which Im glad since I lost a GoPro snowboarding on moguls last Jan :p
    I can deal losing a 300 dollar GoPro as oppose to a Canon MKII :)

3. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

gopro all the way.

image using a monopod to hang the camera right above the water as the blade strikes the surface. You would have to be inches able the water.

mount a jib into the motor boat and you could do some amazing shots with gopros

4. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

My 2 cents:

It seems your DSLR lenses will be a bit short for "cinematographic" shots. With longer zoom lenses you could be on a following boat and get in closer.

The wider lenses would be nice from a bridge looking straight down as the row boats pass under, I think you could get a good feel for speed like that.