Advice on G4 project

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MSD401, Feb 22, 2008.

1. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

So i have a chance to pick up a G4 at a really good price, kinda a mac newbie but learning fast... I just wanted some confirmation that lepoard will run on this G4... not 100% neceassry but I am setting it up as a comp for my parents so it would be nice...
    Specs:
    Dual 500 MHZ
    1GB RAM
    ATI Videocard
    DVD-RD-RW
    Originally had 160gb and 40gb hd, the 160 was sold.

also any idea on where to get /what would be a good hard drive to add to that as the primary and leave the 40 as the secondary.

Update:
    So after lots of google and forum surfing I found this... http://www.mac.profusehost.net/leopardassist/

So any thoughts on hard drive or other mods.
    Its my first project mac and want to make it nice for them..so open to suggestions to make it better... they will just web surf, email and photo manage.

THANKS!:apple:

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Interesting question.

Some G4's can run Leopard, but official specs call for a 867MHz processor. Your system obviously falls short, but I don't know if the dual comes into play at all.

There are reports of people installing Leopard on below-spec systems with some success. More info here.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I would not put Leopard on it. The computer is almost 8 year old and below specs for leopard..

The most recent OS you should put is Tiger. The powermac would run great.

You can get any IDE drive, drives > 120gb requires
    "Intech Hi-Cap Support Driver" or a physical IDE card.