Advice on getting a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Martron, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Martron macrumors regular

So I'm finally going to be able to get a mac computer after many years of hating Dell. I probably won't be getting it for at least 2 months and am planning on getting a Macbook. My question is that I've been reading a possible upgrade is slated for June on the MB. What does this upgrade supposedly entail and is it worth waiting for? I know that there aer constant "upgrade rumors" for macs, but I dont wanna be one of the dopes who buys one in may and then the upgrade is in June. but I also dont want to wait and then june turns to july, etc. So what's some good advice? I don't really need a hugely powerful computer, use it mostly for everyday stuff, prob garage band..things like that. I'm not a graphic designer...

2. Fezzasus macrumors regular

The Macbooks were upgraded last week, you're certainly not going to see an upgrade soon and all the tasks you mention can easily be done on a current macbook. buy it

3. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Well, you can read some articles that were posted on the first page. Obviously none of us know when and what the updates will be, but it is speculated that the new intel chips will be put to use. Other than that, not much is known.

If you're going to wait for 2 months you'd just have to wait one more month... but like you said, june will turn to july, etc. It's a fun game, isn't?

4. balk macrumors member

I am one of those dopes.... I bought my MacBook 15 days before the latest update. Yep, one day too late for returning it. But guess what: I am happy with all aspects, especially after I upgraded memory to 2GB and HDD to a 200GB 7200rpm. The latter is not covered by the latest upgrade.

But, keep an eye on http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook and read the headlines on this website. And remember: a computer is outdated the moment you order it :) ;)

5. johnnyp500 macrumors newbie

I had a feeling

I had a feeling the Macbook was about to get updated.. This is my conversation with the Apple sales guy. Its a bit long but amusing.

justin hi,
    Thanks for your email.
    The truth is, after long thoughts and fears, I decided to switch to a Mac. I was about to order one yesterday but then I started thinking of some things so I put it on hold.

First I noticed that you get more "privileges" if you buy a mac at an Apple store and I currently do not have one near me. Then I noticed thats its been a while since the Mac has been updated and some rumors say that a new Macbook will be out soon and I dont want to buy something that in a month or 2 will be out dated

Hey Johnny,
    Thanks for getting back to me, I would love to help you on this order.
    Unfortunately we get no advance notice on unreleased products. Your guess is as good as mine on future releases. But I feel that if you keep waiting to be ahead of technology, you will be waiting forever because there is always something right around the corner respectively.

Hi Justin,
    Did I tell you or did I not tell u a new macbook is coming? :)
    anyway, I wanted to ask if I can customize my mac at an Apple store or is that only available online. I also wanted to ask what is the difference between buying it at an apple store as opposed to online(as far as the service goes)

Hello,
    Yes your hunch was right.
    The difference with us here at the factory is that we can custom build your machine for you no matter what options you choose and ship it out to you for free.
    Call me anytime so that I can check out the lowest price for you.