Advice on getting a new router

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Stuart21, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Stuart21 macrumors member

2. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

It looks great for the price. The only negative I can see is one review on Amazon which states that an attached disk is read-only. If that's true, it could be inconvenient. You would need to attach the drive directly to your computer when adding content.

3. paduck macrumors 6502

How much is your time worth? The Airport Extreme is a good value compared with comparable products. It also does the AirDisk thing seamlessly. That is what you want (note that you will still have to have your computer turned on. You can get good deals on refurbs at the Apple Store as well.

4. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

I agree.

I picked up a dual band extreme on the apple store online refurb site for $129. I thought that was a great price for what I got.

I've had apple routers in the past, and they always prove to be hands off, one time setup and forget about them affairs...like a router should be.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The problem with this proposed set-up is that the aTV2 is that it can only stream from iTunes. So your computer would still need to be on and iTunes would need to be open for this to work. The actual iTunes library can be on any hard drive (even attached to a router), but the computer would still need to be on.

At that point, why not just plug the HDD to the computer and not have to worry about using up your wifi bandwidth with two data transfers.

6. isaac65 macrumors member

I agree on this as well. I love my AirPort Extreme. It's really fast, has great range, and looks awesome sitting next to my Apple TV. It also plays very nicely with my iPad and iPhone 4. I was having some connection problems with my previous router.
    I got lucky and found an almost new one for $70 on craigslist. Give that a try.

7. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

One up for the Airport Extreme.

I spent alot of time struggling to justify spending so much on a router. I actually bought a different cheaper router first, but it didn't perform my tasks perfectly so I returned it and bought the Airport Extreme the same day. Don't regret at all.

- Airtunes is streaming without hiccups to Expresses and ATV's throughout the apartment
    - HD movies stream smoothly to the Xbox
    - Slingbox streaming no longer experiences slowdown. My old router would overheat when slinging for long periods.
    - It looks good enough that it can stand more in the open, giving it a better range.

8. Phillie14586 macrumors member

I have been looking for a new router also since mine is showing signs of dieing. I found this netgear router at Newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4&cm_re=router_netgear-_-33-122-334-_-Product
    Anyone have thoughts how it compares to the airport extreme? It looked to me like the same specs as the extreme but with one more wired port. I like to wire as much as I can so the extra port would be nice.

9. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

We upgraded from a D-Link 825 to the Airport Extreme and have gained more stablity (no to less connection drops) and stronger wifi signal bars.

The Airport Extreme also resolved an issue we had with renting Apple streaming videos. We used to have to wait 300-700 minutes to watching Apple movies instantly.

Even our Samsung Blu-Ray player with Wifi now connects to the net with strong signals. We bought the Apple TV cause the Samsung player would always drop or not even connect to Netflix at all.

Having the dual band and watching on the 5GHz bandwidth definitely works better on the Extreme than on the D-Link 825. With the D-Link 825 our devices would rarely connect.

10. nagusjim macrumors newbie

airport extreme

They are expensive, but the airport extreme is among the most stable routers i've ever used. Maybe have to be restarted two or three times a year. I consider that to be exceptional performance.

11. etaylor3971 macrumors member

Did the opposite

I did the opposite. Had an Airport Extreme and it didn't reach through most of the house nor stream reliably.

Switched to the D-link 825 and it has worked MUCH better with coverage and streaming to two Apple TVs and two Airport Expresses. Paid $107 at my local Costco.

12. feeth macrumors 6502

My Dlink 615 is on ebay right now. Had it for 6 months and got tired of the weekly resets, ect.

Love the AE! Like everything else apple it just works.