Advice on hard disk error

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by awalk, Sep 26, 2011.

1. awalk macrumors newbie

Hi
    Managed to knock my macbook of the table while it was switched on and although it still worked it started to get the spinning beach ball a lot more so I did a disc check and sure enough it came up with errors ( even after doing a format). So I've purchased a new samsung 2.5" HD and reinstalled and all seemed fine for a few days and then the beach ball returned,it go so sluggish I did the disc utility and it came up with errors again (node error), couldn't even format it. I fear I may have cracked something inside so today I opened it up and had a look inside, reseated the cables and looked if there was any visible damage but nothing seemed obvious. I've installed the os on an external firewire drive and the computer runs fine (so far). My question is am I really unlucky and brought a dud hd or is it something more serious. I'm thinking maybe replacing the optical drive with a hd enclosure but don't want the same issue again and waste more money. Any help appreciated.
    Andy

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Sounds like the new drive may be bad. You can only know for certain with a known-good drive. If you put a working drive inside the machine and it works, then there's your answer.

3. awalk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. The thing is I can format the drive and it passes a disc verify OK. Then I install the OS and then almost immediately the spinning wheel comes back. Just curious if perhaps the actual HD connector inside might be damaged. I'm getting another drive this week so I guess I'll know by then. If it is internal damage do you think running a hd in the optical drive bay would bypass this problem?

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

Disk Utility absolutely does not do hardware tests. It is common to have a bad cable, and if that's the issue, there would be no reason not to replace the cable.

5. awalk thread starter macrumors newbie

Got a replacement hard drive and all's ok (touch wood)so must have been unlucky and purchased a bad drive.