Advice on Hard Drive Setup in new 2009 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by WytRaven, Jun 4, 2009.

1. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Hi all. My new mac pro is almost here. In fact I already have the monitor, blu-ray burner, software, and hard drives in my possession. The only thing yet to turn up is the machine itself.

So while I'm waiting I thought I would ask for some advice on hard drive configuration as this is my first Mac (my wife has an iMac but this will be my first).

The MP is coming with the default 640GB drive and I have purchased in addition to that a pair of 1TB RE3's and a 1.5TB Caviar Green.

My initial intention was to keep the 640 as boot/apps/general files, RAID0 the two RE3's as my working drive HD Video/3D Rendering/Music production, and use the green as a backup drive.

Now that I'm sitting around getting stir crazy waiting for my MP I started to think of the possibility of maybe using the RAID0 of the RE3's as boot/apps as well and use the 640 as general long term file storage.

So what do you good people think? RAID0 just as work drive or combined with boot and apps?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

You can go either way. ;)

If you place the OS/apps on the stripe, you get a speed boost. The con, is if something should happen, all data is lost. But it only requires more work to restore, as you already made allowances for a backup solution.

Worth a shot, and I don't think you'll be dissapointed. ;) Simultaneous access could be an issue in a two drive stripe set though, so you might want to experiment with it, and see how it works for you.

You always have the option of adding another drive to the stripe set (which I think you might want to consider), and relocate the 640 in the empty optical bay.

Given the OS doesn't require a lot of drive access once loaded, it might not be the best use of the 640, nor would it's installation have a significant impact on the stripe set, as it won't often make requests for data while you run the primary applications (simultaneous access).

Hope this helps, and good luck. :)

3. WytRaven thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx nano. I'll definately consider adding a 3rd RE3 but it will have to wait just a little while as I am already in a world of hurt after dropping 16K AUD on this full setup (including software etc) :D

So now for a real noob question. If I do go for the RAID0 including boot and apps how do I go about moving the installed OS etc from the 640 to the RAID? Do I just reinstall the OS from the CD or can you easily clone the drive over? Sorry, but I'm still trying to research what Mac software is available for tasks I'm used to doing under Winblows.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

I truly understand. ;) I just got 3 Caviar Blacks for backup, as I didn't want to buy more of the RE3's for that. ;) I'd have to go back and check the math (afraid to :p), but the RAID system I built may actually exceed the cost of the system. :eek:

I've done it in pieces, as it was easy enough to do, and gave me something to test in the mean time. ;)

You might want to take a look at Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper. ;) A lot of members swear by either of these. :) Do a search in MR, and you'll get quite a list I think. :D :p

5. WytRaven thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I'll check those out (and will try to remember to search before asking next time :p)

6. giffut macrumors 6502

Your ...

... first thought ist the most practicable. You could add some minor speed increase in partitionning the 640GB HD and use the first partition for system / applications. The second one then should be used for second backup only, let´s say important installation packages etc. because the HD can only access one partition at a time.

That said, I would stay away from any RAID solution as long as you don´t need the drive space or throughput (you certainly don´t need it for booting or apmplication load times). RAID 0 gives you more sustained throughput, but not necessarily faster access times.

My personal recommendation:

1. 640GB: boot drive, all applications, optionally partitionned for some minor speed gain (first partition is the fast one)

2. 32GB or 64GB SSD: used for cache files (Photoshop, Final Cut) - use it when you need any cache heavy applications on a daily basis and your workload enforces it

3., 4. any data disc: for all your project files, data sets asf.

Each of those with the exemption of Nr. 2 needs proper backup, though, at any cases. Your boot drive should be triple saved: timemachined and a cloned copy on an external or another internal drive.