Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teigas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Short story, my friend had no backup, and no timemachine installed. Yeah i know stupid. His mac was running really slow so he had somebody help him reset it back , and they said they took out all his pictures, before setting it up again. He found out that a lot of pictures where gone, so I am trying to run some programs to see if the files can be found with a hd recovery tool. I have not so much experience with this on mac, more on windows. I am no currently scanning with this and hope it will come up with somthing.
https://www.softwarehow.com/easeus-data-recovery-wizard-review/

Any suggestions what programs to try i would love to hear back.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Did the person who "reset it back" erase the internal drive before putting a new copy of the OS onto it?

Or... did they just run the Mac OS installer "on top of" the current install?
If they did this -- just ran the installer to "reinstall the OS" -- it should have left the old account alone (assuming the pics were in the "pictures" folder of the old account).

If your friend then created a NEW account, it will not have the pics from the old account in it.

Unfortunately, perhaps it's time to sit down and give a talk to your friend about the concept of backing up.
I would recommend either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable cloned backup.
I don't trust Time Machine nor do I find it easy or useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.