Advice on home button issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrdm, Jul 3, 2011.

1. mrdm macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 home button periodically does *not* respond when pressed. It is very intermittent - but noticeable. Perhaps 1 out of 100 presses will result in it not registering but it is not consistent at all. It is almost 1 year old and I've had the problem for several months now. I've lived with it because of the possibility that they will swap it with a refurb with bigger problems :-(. Given that the warranty will soon expire I've decided to have it looked at.

I have a genius appointment set up but am pretty sure it won't happen while I'm in the store because it is so intermittent. Any advice for dealing with this situation?

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It really depends on what kind of a genius you get. There are some that don't give a flying flip and will replace it as soon as you mention it and there are others that won't do anything about it until the defect shows itself.

Worst comes to worst you can use Activator (from Cydia) to switch the role of the home button to another button. :D

3. xMClass macrumors 6502

I had the same issue with my AT&T iPhone 4 and they replaced it on the spot. And don't worry about getting a refurbished iPhone, they are good as new.

4. alfmil macrumors regular

yeah i am not 100% sure about that... see my comments at the link RafaelT posted.

5. xMClass macrumors 6502

Just speaking on behalf of my experiences with replacement/refurbished iPhones. I've had iPhones replaced 3 times, all units were refurbished and worked exactly like they should with no issues whatsoever.

6. Dougr macrumors newbie

My two pence worth, Had my iphone replaced for signal and home button issues, the first replacement had a white spot on the screen, the second replacement had an unrecoverable crash and would not restore in itunes, the third replacement has signal and home button issues so after three replacements I am back where I started, my opinion the QC on the refurbs isn't what people are claiming it is.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

well my home button issue is getting worse so I going to make a appt. tomorrow no choice really. hopefully my phone will act up for the Genius. lets see home button problems or take a refurb chance hmmm what should I do?????

8. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Most refurbs are fine. Just check it before you leave.

9. mrdm thread starter macrumors regular

Positive result

I'm happy to report that my phone was replaced today. The genius took it into the back because he said sometimes this is caused by a loose cable. He came back out and said that the cable was fine but he was able to reproduce the problem (thankfully). Turns out my phone was 11 days past the warranty. He replaced it anyway. What awesome service! This is why I buy apple products. In fact, I've bought 4 apple laptops this year alone for family members who needed them. In any case, I have a brand new iPhone 4 that is working great! I encourage all that are having issues, even if interemittent, to take the phone to apple for a look.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

yep I know, I'm going to miss all my shsh blobs i saved though. jailbreak tol activator was the main reason I tolerated it so long.

11. InvAdErekiM macrumors newbie

well soon enough iPhone 5 will be here and you will be working with a new iPhone anyways so you will have no blobs anyways. get it replaced/?

12. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Yeh, having the same issue. Think I'm out of warranty period though. Any suggestions?

13. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

The problem with all of this is that the problem will return on the refurb as well, it is just a matter of time until it does. I speak from experience. :( Apple really does need to change the way these buttons are made if they continue to use an iOS that requires a button to press.

14. globalist macrumors 6502a

I've just purchased this case and it came with a "home button protector" which works like a charm. No more temperamental home button issue for me. :p