Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eeden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi all,

As I told in previous threads I'm dealing with the keyboard issues with the 2018 model.
Apple replaced the keyboard 2 months ago and now i'm dealing with the same issue.
Today I visited the apple store and they said they will again replace everything, except that now they replace keyboard, trackpad, speakers and battery for the 2019 version that should solve all these issues.

I told Apple that i'm really sick of all these issues and that for a 3k machine it is unacceptable and that my macbook being in for repair for weeks is undoable.
I asked Apple to replace my macbook pro for the 2019 version. They said that they don't offer this in the Netherlands.

My problem with this is:
- horrible experience with a 3k machine for 10 months.
- all this time repairs cost for a known issue
- the resale value. Who buys my faulty model?

Can anyone suggest how to deal with Apple and get them to just replace it for a new model?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
While I do think Apple have every reason look after people affected by this issue, I don't think they are under any obligation to just give you a 1 year newer machine. You did, after all, buy a machine knowing it suffered from this defect and there was a risk of this happening. I would advise you accept the repair, and buy a 2019 in the meantime. When the repair is done, you can either sell the 2018 to recoup much of the cost if you really want the 2019, or else return the 2019 (no I don't think the latter is dishonest as Apple do offer a no questions asked 2 week return policy). I believe the KB repair programme is now quicker than 'weeks' and might just be a day or two, though I'm not certain if this is available in the NL. Again, while I do think the KB situation is unacceptable, and should never have happened or long since been decisively resolved, I also believe people do have to take a certain amount of personal responsibility if they choose to buy a current MBP and take their chance in the knowledge this might happen.

Eeden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
While I do think Apple have every reason look after people affected by this issue, I don't think they are under any obligation to just give you a 1 year newer machine. You did, after all, buy a machine knowing it suffered from this defect and there was a risk of this happening. I would advise you accept the repair, and buy a 2019 in the meantime. When the repair is done, you can either sell the 2018 to recoup much of the cost if you really want the 2019, or else return the 2019 (no I don't think the latter is dishonest as Apple do offer a no questions asked 2 week return policy). I believe the KB repair programme is now quicker than 'weeks' and might just be a day or two, though I'm not certain if this is available in the NL. Again, while I do think the KB situation is unacceptable, and should never have happened or long since been decisively resolved, I also believe people do have to take a certain amount of personal responsibility if they choose to buy a current MBP and take their chance in the knowledge this might happen.

Buying a 2019 can be a solution, although also a hassle.

I don't agree on my own responsibility. I waiting for the 2018 model and expected a fix. The wait for the repair is 2 weeks. 7 days for the arrival of the components and 7 for repair. This was the same with the first repair. Together with 6 visits to the apple store, it is totally unacceptable.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Together with 6 visits to the apple store, it is totally unacceptable.
I agree. But there is really nothing you can do about it except complain online as you're doing, though that doesn't change the facts. The best thing to do is to change your mental outlook and "always look on the bright side of life."

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Hi all,

As I told in previous threads I'm dealing with the keyboard issues with the 2018 model.
Apple replaced the keyboard 2 months ago and now i'm dealing with the same issue.
Today I visited the apple store and they said they will again replace everything, except that now they replace keyboard, trackpad, speakers and battery for the 2019 version that should solve all these issues.

I told Apple that i'm really sick of all these issues and that for a 3k machine it is unacceptable and that my macbook being in for repair for weeks is undoable.
I asked Apple to replace my macbook pro for the 2019 version. They said that they don't offer this in the Netherlands.

My problem with this is:
- horrible experience with a 3k machine for 10 months.
- all this time repairs cost for a known issue
- the resale value. Who buys my faulty model?

Can anyone suggest how to deal with Apple and get them to just replace it for a new model?
The 2019 topcase most likely won't give you any trouble. If they replace it and you have issues again, they may look into giving you a CRU if you press them enough. I'd recommend just going ahead and having them replace the topcase with the 2019 version, and see how that goes.

Sorry to hear about these issues though. I'd be annoyed to be without my machine for that long too. Maybe see if a friend has a spare? I have spare Macs so I CAN live without my 2015 MBP if it needed to be sent off to the depot for a week or two but I know most people don't but...you may know someone with an older one that they're not using that you could borrow in the meantime.

You COULD also buy a 2019, use it for two weeks while yours is repaired, and then return it once you get yours back. But that means charging your credit card with a multi-thousand dollar (USD) purchase.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
As I told in previous threads I'm dealing with the keyboard issues with the 2018 model...

I told Apple that i'm really sick of all these issues and that for a 3k machine it is unacceptable and that my macbook being in for repair for weeks is undoable...

I hope you have the maximum extended Apple Care for your MBP. IMO it is unacceptable behavior on Apple's part if a 3k machine was sold with a known widespread defect. This should be where they spend some of that trillion they have to remedy these keyboard issues once and for all... or don't be surprised to see them lose a class action suit over these keyboard issues in the future.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Buying a 2019 can be a solution, although also a hassle.

I don't agree on my own responsibility. I waiting for the 2018 model and expected a fix. The wait for the repair is 2 weeks. 7 days for the arrival of the components and 7 for repair. This was the same with the first repair. Together with 6 visits to the apple store, it is totally unacceptable.
It is quite a drastic step, and they aren't cheap machines by any stretch, but I think it's all you can do if you want to take the repair but can't be without a machine for a couple of weeks. I don't see them budging on giving you a new unit if they have already said no. Nothing to stop you trying your luck again when you next go in though!

Inasmuch as waiting for the 2018 model and expecting the issue to be resolved decisively, yes I think that's reasonable, they had ample time to develop a backup plan (updated design incorporating magic KB?) if the gen 3 wasn't absolutely as rock solid as it should have been - but I do think in waiting you should also have looked to see if the (very minor) change actually did fix the issue before committing to a purchase, if you knew that a 2 week wait without the machine was going to be an issue.

I can see the frustration of having to return multiple times, its not great for any company, let alone one marketing themselves as a cut above and charging accordingly - Apple have every reason to be very generous in continuing to pickup the cost of repairing your machine when it fails, I would say they should go even further than the 4 year replacement programme and offer free of charge repairs for any machine for its usual full hardware support life (7 years for most machines). Having said that I also stand by my earlier statement they aren't obliged to give you a newer model as recompense (and nor would it decisively solve the issue if the immediate listing on the replacement programme is to be believed). If you go in and ask a different genius and they agree this time, I'd see that as a bonus, not an expected right. With the top case replacement you do get everything bar the upgraded processor in the 2019 though I believe, so all the benefits of getting a new model sans the upgrade in performance. Hopefully they might rollout the quicker turnarounds in your country soon, or better yet the 2019 top case might solve the issue for you!

Reactions: brandair

buran-energia

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2017
The 2018 model with the 2019 keyboard wouldn't be more faulty than the 2019 model. The only reason the resale value would be a bit lower than the 2019 model is because it's older. It's the 2016-2017 models that are a bit screwed.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

I think that's a pretty good deal to be honest and is giving you as good a chance of having no more issues than if you went a bought a 2019 machine off the shelf.

And if you choose to sell your machine, the person buying will still get the 4 year warranty on the keyboard but also a much newer battery than they'd otherwise get in a 2018 machine. Second hand buyers are still obsessed with battery counts!

Eeden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Update:

So 2 days ago my macbook pro was finally repaired. The new 2019 keyboard looks and feels good and it seems like it has some more space between the keys.
So far so good...

When I received my macbook pro in the store I noticed a dent on the outside of the display. Apple acknowledged that this was probably not the case when I turned it in (which is true!).
Now they are going to replace the whole display.

Still not able to do any work on the mpb! I understand that these things can happen but what I don’t get is why they do not provide a new machine or at least a temporary replacement. Total of repairs is now 1800...

And you know what I really really hate is the apple guys that tell you how happy I should be that I got a completely new keyboard, battery, display etc etc.

Not happy, frustrated consumer that cannot live without his computer for weeks!

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Update:

So 2 days ago my macbook pro was finally repaired. The new 2019 keyboard looks and feels good and it seems like it has some more space between the keys.
So far so good...

When I received my macbook pro in the store I noticed a dent on the outside of the display. Apple acknowledged that this was probably not the case when I turned it in (which is true!).
Now they are going to replace the whole display.

Still not able to do any work on the mpb! I understand that these things can happen but what I don’t get is why they do not provide a new machine or at least a temporary replacement. Total of repairs is now 1800...

And you know what I really really hate is the apple guys that tell you how happy I should be that I got a completely new keyboard, battery, display etc etc.

Not happy, frustrated consumer that cannot live without his computer for weeks!
Yea it's annoying how bad their service centers can be sometimes. Like my new topcase on my mid 2015 rMBP has scuffs near the vents in the hinge area...but since they are down in there, it's not worth fussing over. Everything else was done well. I assume the scuffs are from the alignment machine they use to mount the display assembly. Atlas you're getting a brand new display assembly, and it will most likely come back in proper condition this time. If they were to mess it up again, demand a new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.