advice on how to deal with Apple's keyboard issue / solution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eeden, Jun 10, 2019.

  1. Eeden macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    #1
    Hi all,

    As I told in previous threads I'm dealing with the keyboard issues with the 2018 model.
    Apple replaced the keyboard 2 months ago and now i'm dealing with the same issue.
    Today I visited the apple store and they said they will again replace everything, except that now they replace keyboard, trackpad, speakers and battery for the 2019 version that should solve all these issues.

    I told Apple that i'm really sick of all these issues and that for a 3k machine it is unacceptable and that my macbook being in for repair for weeks is undoable.
    I asked Apple to replace my macbook pro for the 2019 version. They said that they don't offer this in the Netherlands.

    My problem with this is:
    - horrible experience with a 3k machine for 10 months.
    - all this time repairs cost for a known issue
    - the resale value. Who buys my faulty model?

    Can anyone suggest how to deal with Apple and get them to just replace it for a new model?
     
  2. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

    Falhófnir

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2017
    #2
    While I do think Apple have every reason look after people affected by this issue, I don't think they are under any obligation to just give you a 1 year newer machine. You did, after all, buy a machine knowing it suffered from this defect and there was a risk of this happening. I would advise you accept the repair, and buy a 2019 in the meantime. When the repair is done, you can either sell the 2018 to recoup much of the cost if you really want the 2019, or else return the 2019 (no I don't think the latter is dishonest as Apple do offer a no questions asked 2 week return policy). I believe the KB repair programme is now quicker than 'weeks' and might just be a day or two, though I'm not certain if this is available in the NL. Again, while I do think the KB situation is unacceptable, and should never have happened or long since been decisively resolved, I also believe people do have to take a certain amount of personal responsibility if they choose to buy a current MBP and take their chance in the knowledge this might happen.
     
  3. Eeden thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    #3
    Buying a 2019 can be a solution, although also a hassle.

    I don't agree on my own responsibility. I waiting for the 2018 model and expected a fix. The wait for the repair is 2 weeks. 7 days for the arrival of the components and 7 for repair. This was the same with the first repair. Together with 6 visits to the apple store, it is totally unacceptable.
     
  4. chabig macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2002
    #4
    I agree. But there is really nothing you can do about it except complain online as you're doing, though that doesn't change the facts. The best thing to do is to change your mental outlook and "always look on the bright side of life."

     
  5. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2016
    #5
    The 2019 topcase most likely won't give you any trouble. If they replace it and you have issues again, they may look into giving you a CRU if you press them enough. I'd recommend just going ahead and having them replace the topcase with the 2019 version, and see how that goes.

    Sorry to hear about these issues though. I'd be annoyed to be without my machine for that long too. Maybe see if a friend has a spare? I have spare Macs so I CAN live without my 2015 MBP if it needed to be sent off to the depot for a week or two but I know most people don't but...you may know someone with an older one that they're not using that you could borrow in the meantime.

    You COULD also buy a 2019, use it for two weeks while yours is repaired, and then return it once you get yours back. But that means charging your credit card with a multi-thousand dollar (USD) purchase.
     
  6. SoCalReviews, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019

    SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2012
    #6
    I hope you have the maximum extended Apple Care for your MBP. IMO it is unacceptable behavior on Apple's part if a 3k machine was sold with a known widespread defect. This should be where they spend some of that trillion they have to remedy these keyboard issues once and for all... or don't be surprised to see them lose a class action suit over these keyboard issues in the future.
     
  7. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

    Falhófnir

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2017
    #7
    It is quite a drastic step, and they aren't cheap machines by any stretch, but I think it's all you can do if you want to take the repair but can't be without a machine for a couple of weeks. I don't see them budging on giving you a new unit if they have already said no. Nothing to stop you trying your luck again when you next go in though!

    Inasmuch as waiting for the 2018 model and expecting the issue to be resolved decisively, yes I think that's reasonable, they had ample time to develop a backup plan (updated design incorporating magic KB?) if the gen 3 wasn't absolutely as rock solid as it should have been - but I do think in waiting you should also have looked to see if the (very minor) change actually did fix the issue before committing to a purchase, if you knew that a 2 week wait without the machine was going to be an issue.

    I can see the frustration of having to return multiple times, its not great for any company, let alone one marketing themselves as a cut above and charging accordingly - Apple have every reason to be very generous in continuing to pickup the cost of repairing your machine when it fails, I would say they should go even further than the 4 year replacement programme and offer free of charge repairs for any machine for its usual full hardware support life (7 years for most machines). Having said that I also stand by my earlier statement they aren't obliged to give you a newer model as recompense (and nor would it decisively solve the issue if the immediate listing on the replacement programme is to be believed). If you go in and ask a different genius and they agree this time, I'd see that as a bonus, not an expected right. With the top case replacement you do get everything bar the upgraded processor in the 2019 though I believe, so all the benefits of getting a new model sans the upgrade in performance. Hopefully they might rollout the quicker turnarounds in your country soon, or better yet the 2019 top case might solve the issue for you!
     
  8. buran-energia macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2017
    #8
    The 2018 model with the 2019 keyboard wouldn't be more faulty than the 2019 model. The only reason the resale value would be a bit lower than the 2019 model is because it's older. It's the 2016-2017 models that are a bit screwed.
     
  9. ascender macrumors 68020

    ascender

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    #9
    I think that's a pretty good deal to be honest and is giving you as good a chance of having no more issues than if you went a bought a 2019 machine off the shelf.

    And if you choose to sell your machine, the person buying will still get the 4 year warranty on the keyboard but also a much newer battery than they'd otherwise get in a 2018 machine. Second hand buyers are still obsessed with battery counts!
     

Share This Page

8 June 10, 2019