Advice on if i should swap my iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aphexacid, May 2, 2011.

1. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I was contemplating this morning wether or not i should take my iphone 4 to the apple store to get swapped or not.

Its an at&t model and i've had it since launch. I still have 4.01 on it and have jailbroken previously saved my shsh blob.

Problem is, my home button has been pretty unresponsive lately. And i have this problem where all of the sudden, the phone will become frozen, and no buttons do anything. screen is black, and the phone just sits there and vibrates.

You cant do anything while its doing this. itunes, charger, holding home and sleep switch. nothing will bring it back to life. You just have to wait until the batter completely drains. then you can charge it and it will be ok. Its done it to me 3 times in the past month or so, and its very annoying, especially if your battery is almost fully charged. it takes FOREVER to die.

So i'd like to get a new one, but im worried that the new one might have worse problems. I've also heard of people getting nasty yellow screens. Is that common?

What do you guys think i should do? keep this one or take a chance and swap? Plus, i'll have no choice but to be on the latest firmware now...

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

The first thing Apple will request is that you restore your iPhone and set it up as a new iPhone, not restore from backup to ensure it isn't (which it most likely is) a software problem.

3. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Oh i see. I've done that a bajillion times. But i'll do it again before i go there, if i do.

You think i should swap it though?

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I think you should swap it. The screen you have now you will never see again though. If you are using an iPhone from launch, the replacement screens are worse. They might NOT ALL be yellow tinted, but they wont look at blue tinted as they are now.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Had the exact same home button issue ... along with others ... today I am on iPhone 4, #4!

Not sure why you're afraid to just swap it in!

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

If you're still on 4.0.1 you haven't done it a bajillion times. 4.0.2 came out August 11th, 2011. If you're maintaining your jailbreak, you aren't doing a full restore. Either way if you do a clean restore or get it swapped out you're going to be on a newer version and you'll lose your jailbreak - so do a full clean restore and see if you still have this problem.

The only reason I'm pushing the restore is because if your only problem is this and it turns out to be a software issue you may be better off than what you receive.

7. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I'm on 4.01 because i choose to be. I JB'd my phone back that and saved my shsh thus allowing me to try new firmwares and downgrade back to 4.01 if i choose. Which i do, because in my opinion, everything after 4.0/4.01 is garbage.

And i've tried all of the new fw's, and nothing has helped.

Either way, i've decided to keep it and not swap. I'll get apple care most likely incase something truly kills it, but i'd rather deal with what i have, than have a new set of problems.

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

no you didn't, don't lie to us.

9. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

While I could poke a million holes in your story, what I'm saying is that the corruption may be in the blobs you are restoring from.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I highly doubt the shsh blobs that are just there to allow the phone to restore to older firmware are corrupt or causing this.
    But IMO 4.2.1 and even the latest 4.3.2 are better firmware versions to be on JB or stock than 4.0.1.

11. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Are you being serious? I literally just restored my phone back from 4.3.2 a couple of hours ago. Not only was my home button doing the same crap it was before, but the slide to unlock still hasnt been fixed.

12. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Why do you say that? 4.2.1 seemed like it was ok. I didnt notice a battery difference. I actually have this on my fiances 3gs.

I was not digging 4.3.2. battery life seems a bit better than 4.3, but its so chuggy in certain spots.

13. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I'm seriously trying to figure out what it is that you guys are trying to accuse me of?

Do you not believe that i have 4.01 since it was originally released? back then i used jailbreak me, and saved shsh. Since then, i have tried other firmwares and always went back to 4.01. Most recently 4.3.2

I dont see what holes you're talking about, i just wanted some opinions on weather i should get a replacement