Advice on iLife install on old MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mackingtosh, Jul 19, 2012.

1. mackingtosh macrumors newbie

I have an old MacBook 2,1 that I'm buffing up to give to my 65 yr old in-laws as an email/ichat/internet box. I did a clean install of Snow Leopard, bumped the RAM to 4GB (3GB +), and gave it a new battery. So far, works great for their needs.

They have grandkids, and grandkids mean pictures. Does anyone have experience running iPhoto 11 on a maxed out MacBook 2,1? If it sucks, what alternative iteration of iPhoto, or what other software would you recommend for Photo organization/viewing/emailing?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Performance will be just fine. The real issue is obtaining iLife '11. If you don't have a DVD copy, the bad news is that the current Mac App Store version of iPhoto (and iMovie) have been Lion only since a few months ago.

3. mackingtosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks! Yeah I have the DVD for it, but the DVD drive is busted--had to make a USB key copy to clean install Snow Leopard, so looks like I'll do the same for iLife. Cheers!

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I use that same MacBook and don't have any issues with it (and I only have 2 GB ram).

Something you might want to consider since you're gifting it is a USB dvd drive.

Not that you aren't incredibly kind to give this as a gift, but the extra $40 might help them out.

5. mackingtosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach on a DVD drive and a mouse. If they need either, I'll buy it for them, but don't want to over-complicate things if not necessary. Mother in law is pretty tech fluent, but father-in-law grew up in rural MT and is a carpenter who literally has never used a computer. I'm trying to figure out my approach to teaching him and I'm remembering learning on Apple IIe's back in 1985. Do they still make Logowriter? :)