Advice on internal disks

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kinohaitsma, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kinohaitsma macrumors newbie

What would be a good alternative to the SATA disks Apple sells?
    They seem to be a bit expensive on their site.
    I do music mostly, Logic Pro, sample libraries and so on.
    Any advice would be appreciated...

2. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

you could get Raptors, WD Blacks, WD Caviars.. depends on your budget and what your usage requirements are. SSDs also are an option as well as RAID

List your primary usage requirements and we can narrow the options down

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

4. kinohaitsma thread starter macrumors newbie

Primary usage is Logic Pro, plus a large library sample program VSL virtual instruments. MacGuru says the Seagate new Barracuda is good. I heard WD are good too. I want reliabilty over speed, so 7200 should be enough?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Thumbs down to Western Digital.
    Thumbs up to Seagate.
    7200RPM is fine.

6. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

You want reliability, the enterprise drives are the way to go. Have a look at the WD RE3
    http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=503
    7200 rpm should be fine

7. kinohaitsma thread starter macrumors newbie

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Oodles of users have come to me with problems/issues/dead Western Digital drives, usually as part of some POS like the Passport. That coupled with the large number of WD drives I've had fail on me over the years (and the relatively low number of Seagates that have failed on me over the years).

Everyone is likely to have differing opinions on which drive manufacturers are the best and the worst. It's an unfortunate consequence of varying levels of use.

For me, it's always seagate and I'm always happy.

9. funkahdafi macrumors 6502

I can recommend the Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB drives. They are *extremely* fast, not too expensive, very quiet, and I haven't had a single flaw with them yet. They are also available as a special RAID/enterprise edition.

10. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

If you're looking for a multi-terabyte RAID array, go with WD RE3 drives, otherwise I'd suggest WD Caviar Blacks.

This review of the RE3 actually has a nice comparison of many drives.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15588

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

I'm big on enterprise/server drives. ES.2, RE3, whatever. A few bucks more, but proven to be more reliable and built for more than you'll do with it.

12. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Assume your hard disk is going to fail and ensure you have a decent backup and tested restore solution. With that said, any HD will do, as long as it's SATA2 and 7200 RPM. Faster drives are available but are more likely to be noisier and consume more power.

13. kinohaitsma thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm reading here on the WD site that their drives do NOT support Mac OSX...
    So, if I buy one, will I have problems installing it?

14. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Sure they are, in general. What link are you looking at?

15. diotav macrumors 6502

Samsung Spinpoint F1 .. quiet, fast and cheap!

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

Absolutely. :) The RE3's are quite decent. ;)
    Consumer drives. Enough said. :D :p
    I prefer the smaller ones, for throughput. The 320GB version gives a nice balance, if you have the room for extra volumes in a RAID set for capacity. Otherwise, the 1TB model will suffice. :D
    I'm really curious about what Seagate will answer the RE3's with. ;) Though the customer service has declined, and I'm concerned about reliability to a lesser extent (recent firmware issues; even affected the ES.2's :().

17. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

18. AdamTro macrumors member

I've used WD's for years with never a problem. Seagate had an issue a number of months ago and a lot of people had their drives bricked.

19. Lucibelle macrumors member

This is interesting, because in my recent research of user feedback, (of real issues) it would seem that the Caviar Blacks are the most reliable. I've used many Seagate drives myself, and would normally recommend them, but there have been MANY issues with the Seagate 1T and 1.5T drives, both firmware and hardware. I recently bought the Samsung 1T drive, but only recently found that it has had its share of issues as well. I chose it over the WD because it is rated faster at STR and much quieter than the WD blacks. Still, it seems that most issues with these will show up fairly quick if at all, and users without problems seem very pleased. I'll be backing up onto an external drive, anyway.

I haven't really seen anything about the WDs having any issues other than they are considerably louder, but if they actually do have issues, this would seem that the technology to bring 1T drives isn't quite up to par yet? :confused: It is also interesting when you consider that WD (and Samsung, I believe?) are about to release 2T drives, and both will be 5200 rpm drives. (WD's will have 'variable rates' of spin speed, but will primarily run at 5200)

I somewhat regret buying a 1T drive right now, but the price was definitely right. ;)

If I were you and reliability was the biggest factor, I'd go with a smaller drive for now. Wait until these issues are solved.

p.s. Samsung only gives maximum transfer rates (also true of WD, if I remember correctly). I researched several places online to find STR. Also, I stated in another thread that I had ordered the WD. I had forgotten that I made the last-minute change. :p

20. kinohaitsma thread starter macrumors newbie

so I understand it is safer to go with sizes like 640, 750 GB max.
    that's ok with me.
    about the noise level; tests seem to reveal that the WD's (BC) are noisier than others. how bad is the noise?
    I'm recording acoustic instruments and vocals in my studio, would the noise be really bothersome?

21. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Agreed. Though I'd edit quiet to quiet...ish.

I have 3 1TB drives in my Mac Pro, albeit only for a couple of days, but its all good so far.

22. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

I'd like to know about the noise too, anyone?

23. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

i just bought a pair of wd 500 GB re3 and they seem fine - quiet and very fast. i've also used seagate with few problems. ymmv.

24. maviso5 macrumors regular

I have to agree, super fast and quiet lovely drive, inexpensive too