Advice On Internal Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andalusia, May 17, 2009.

1. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I have a 120GB internal hard drive, and an external 500GB hard drive. It's partitioned with 220GB for backups, 120GB for Music, 30GB formatted for regular Windows PCs (FAT) and 95GB for general things of mine (named Drive).

I'm wondering whether it would be worth upgrading to a 250GB internal hard drive, deleting the Drive paritition and increasing my Backup partition to the maximum now available. I use my laptop for Graphics, and keep all my graphics stuff on here, eg Photoshop, Illustrator, basically Adobe CS4. I keep WoW, UT2004 and other such really large files on my Drive partition, and most of my music is on the Music Partition with the exception of 35GB that I keep on the Macbook itself.

Questions.

A) is it worth getting 250GB hard drive, copying everything across, reinstalling software, losing money, etc etc...
    B) Do the partition amounts seem ok, or do I not need a partition formatted for use with Windows? I would primarily use this to transfer things from School to home, and to my brother's Vista laptop...
    C) Is 220GB+ too much for backing up a 120GB hard drive?
    and D) Should I get the bigger hard drive and give my backup drive 300GB+ dedicated to it?

Sorry if this post sound rambly or uninformative, or just plain noobish.. I'd just like some advice.

Thank you in advance. :)

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you are feeling cramped in the 120GB drive, having to move stuff off to make space, constantly getting to 80% or more of capacity, annoyed at having to go to your external for stuff you need regularly, then you are a candidate for a new drive. I would recommend a 7200RPM drive as they are considerably faster than most stock 5400RPM ones. A 320GB 7200RPM drive is about $60-$70.