Advice on international shipping

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by staplerz, Aug 4, 2009.

  1. staplerz macrumors newbie

    Nov 25, 2008
    I leave on September 3rd for York, England for college. I need a laptop for college but logically I want the best for my money. I am tempted to go right a head and buy a 15" MBP but am a little hesitant. I know Snow Leopard is being release in September and rumors of a new iTouch. There are also rumors about the MBP that have been drawing my eyes. The rumors about a matte display option, faster integrated Intel graphics, and processor upgrades (Nehalem or if were extremely lucky, Arrandale). So here is my dilemma...

    I can shoot for the 15" MBP right now and be satisfied with a solid, high preforming laptop.
    I can wait till September - December to see if Apple releases an upgraded MBP. If I wait I will have to buy it online and have it shipped to my flat in England. Also I will have to use the provided desktop computers at school for all my work until I get a laptop. ]= But in the long run I will have a better MBP than if I didn't wait.

    I'd really appreciate your advice on my situation. All I want is the best product for the best price.

    Thanks all, Mark
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    This is always going to be the case. Irrelevant.

    Buy now in the US.
  3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    This is what I would do.
  4. Wakakanada macrumors regular

    Oct 21, 2007
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    What a wacky wish :D

    I wouldn't worry about buying online and having it shipped internationally, it's all shipped internationally anyway.

    The MBP was just refreshed so now is a good time to buy. I would delay buying until just before you leave to maximize your chance of being in the window of a "free" Snow Leopard upgrade. I got the "free" Leopard upgrade when I bought my iMac almost two years ago, paid the $9.99 shipping or something like that and did a very easy, flawless upgrade of the OS without any hassle.

    So, yes get it before you go if you want to have it in your hands right away, take advantage of whatever back to school special they may have and upgrade to Snow Leopard for "free". All this should be possible if you buy just before you leave.
  5. JFreak macrumors 68040


    Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    Wouldn't it be easiest to buy the new MBP from England while you are there? I'm sure you can get it tax-free (whether cheaper in store or tax refund later I don't know).
  6. itou macrumors regular

    Jan 16, 2008
    you won't qualify for tax-free if you're on a student visa.
    mac prices are much higher in the UK than they are in the US. shipping it to the UK from the US would risk damage and tax. i would buy in the US.
  7. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

    Apr 19, 2005
    I would buy now in the US. The Snow Leopard upgrade is only $29 for you - not a big deal (see I would buy now so you have a month to get used to it and any software you install. And I would also try to buy from the Apple refurb site and use the savings to apply to an Applecare policy (which is recognized internationally) - students are HARD on laptops.
  8. staplerz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for all your input. I've decided to just buy it now in the US. I'm going to sell the free iTouch and printer to make some extra cash. I can also get Snow Leopard for only $9.99 if I buy the laptop before December. I figure the even if I waited to get better specs it wouldn't really matter because I'm not going to be using it for video editing, hard core gaming or drafting... :p
  9. staplerz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 25, 2008
    :apple: 15" MBP
    2.53 GHz
    320 GB @ 5400

    - $250 (iTouch + printer)

    That's what I'm shooting for. I just wish it was matte... oh well...

    Anyone want to buy a 8gb iTouch for $175??
    Or a Canon PIXMA MP480 printer for $75??
  10. Wakakanada macrumors regular

    Oct 21, 2007
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    deal done?

    So did you actually buy it yet, or just decided on this?

Share This Page