Advice On iPad Replacement

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DiScO197, Mar 8, 2011.

1. DiScO197 macrumors regular

Hi Folks,

I'm on my third 1st Gen iPad due to debris under the screen. I bought the original in June last year so it's still under warranty. The last replacement I got also had something under the glass and I decided not to send it back because of the hassle involved and the time it was taking, so, I took it to an Apple store when visiting family because there is not one close to me and the chap behind the genius bar said he would replace it no problem and could see the fault. However, when he brought out the brown box and opened it up, it was far worse than mine! You could clearly see three bits of debris under the glass, it wasn't even switched on. He claimed it was the only they had so I refused it, for obvious reasons, and kept the one I have but he told me the fault was logged to the serial number of my iPad so replacing it else where would not be a problem. Anyone got any experience with this? I've yet to have it replaced in fear of getting a worse one. The thing which annoyed me more than anything was the fact I like to keep things original. In other words, the serial number of the unit matches the serial number on the box etc. Call me fussy, but I'm actually considering collecting these things (like people do stamps!) so I would really like a new replacement that is how I would expect it to be for the £699 I paid for it. Warranty expires in June 2011, what would be my best manoeuvre from here? I've spent thousands on Apple gear over the last few years and I must say it's been a difficult process trying to get a 'new boxed' replacement for anything when a problem has come up. For example, the MacBook SR I bought in late 2007, the keyboard was faulty from day one and I had to drive 20 miles to the local service centre so they could replace it. I'm going to buy an iPad 2 when they are available, but I still need to resolve the problems with the first one I purchased! Should I get on the phone screaming blue murder? Any advice much appreciated :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My only advice is to use your enter key and create paragraphs. The wall of text made my eyes water.

I'm not sure what to offer if you, since you're not happy with the situation, other then be polite and firm. Being rude will get you no where.

3. DiScO197 thread starter macrumors regular

I see what you mean! How did that happen! I used the enter key lots :D

4. DiScO197 thread starter macrumors regular

It's a nice wall of text though, I thought the website would format that properly? My point was, in short. Does it mean anything when the genius says your serial number is logged for a replacement or was it a fob off?

5. DiScO197 thread starter macrumors regular

But you read it!!!!!

6. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

You've obviously been a bit unlucky with the iPad 1, I'm sure that apple will sort it out eventually.

7. DiScO197 thread starter macrumors regular

8. DiScO197 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

for

the

reply,

and

the

encouragement.

It Would seem these things nowadays are

few

and

far

between.

Opps, easy on that enter key :eek:

9. DiScO197 thread starter macrumors regular

Sincerely thanks. I just want a 'perfect product' with the serial number to match the packaging. Think Christies in 200 years time :)

10. DiScO197 thread starter macrumors regular

I rang them up yesterday and they sorted it for me quite promptly. Polite and firm was good advice. They're going to collect the old unit and send me a brand new boxed one :D I just hope there is nothing wrong with this one! :eek: I also get to keep the original charger so I'll have a spare now :) Cheers.