Advice on iPhone development-never programmed before

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docprego, Aug 15, 2009.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

I hope I am in the correct forum, I searched for a specific development forum but did not find one.

Like many I would like to learn how to develop applications for the iPhone. I am a dedicated Mac and iPhone user and this seems like it would be a fun and challenging journey. I have done a LOT of research trying to determine where to begin but remain confused. For a person who has never programmed at all before, where is the correct place to start? From what I have gathered I need to learn Objective C but I have also gathered that you don't start there.

I'll pose specific questions:

1. Which specific book would you recommend to me having absolutely no programming experience?.

2. Being that I don't have any other goals besides iPhone development, which language would be best to start with?

3. I am very computer literate, is it realistic to believe that I could learn how to develop for the iPhone?

Thank you.

2. OSXbugs macrumors newbie

Link

C, since Objective C is just C with objects.

Depends on how much time and drive you have. Everything is possible.

3. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you so much for that link, I'll be buying that tomorrow. Has anyone on this forum used this particular book as a complete neophyte such as myself? I also found this one on Amazon which is not geared specifically to Mac users but the user reviews give me a good feeling about it. http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Beginners-Guide-Other-Sams/dp/0672305100/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1250397607&sr=8-9

On a side note I just noticed that there is an iPhone programming forum, please excuse my mistake in placing this thread here. If the moderator finds it necessary please move it there.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Get this book also (or instead of). It is considered the Bible (at least IMO).

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-O...6157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250399558&sr=8-1

It assumes no programming knowledge at all. You really should start there. Also, you'll see numerous recommendations on the MR site for Kochan (who is actually a developer in MR).

5. firewood macrumors 604

Learn to program first. I recommend a scripting language, Javascript, Basic, or even a children's learning environment (Squeak, Scratch, et al.)

Some people pick it up easily and can quickly move on to C and Obj-C. Some people get part way through a college CS degree before discovering they have near zero aptitude for coding.

6. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

This confuses me a bit, I was under the impression that someone would not start with Objective-C but rather with C. So are you saying that this book assumes no programming knowledge at all yet enables you to learn Objective-C?

Well after reading several of the reviews on Amazon of the book it became apparent that it is exactly as you said. Indeed this book seems to be geared towards someone with no programming knowledge yet it let's you jump directly into Objective C.

Thanks.