Advice on keeping MBP in a drawer while in use.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nero Wolfe, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

I plan on connecting my MBP to the new Cinema Display when at home. I was planning to run it in clamshell mode while keeping it in a drawer*. I am looking into a fan-based cooling 'pad' or installing cabinet fans in the rear of the drawer... a little worried about overheating it.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone else use a similar setup?

*It's a wide, flat drawer (middle desk) I'm just worried there won't be enough air flow to carry the heat away from the MBP.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Forgive me for being a little blunt, but that is a really bad idea. Even if you get a cooling pad, having it in a drawer will prevent air from moving and it will overheat.

No good will come of this and you're best bet is to find another solution. Perhaps selling the MBP and buying an iMac.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you install fans on the rear of the drawer that'd probably work, but the whole just seems a little silly to me. Is it really that big of a deal to just have it on the desk somewhere out of the way? Installing fans seems like a lot of trouble when your machine already has them.

4. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Buy an elevator, used iCurve, etc and go dual screen. I do this with my MBP and it works slick. I use spaces a lot, so I have Adium "stickied" to the laptop screen as well as some geektool scripts for monitoring some of my servers. The external display is front and center with the MBP off to the side.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Raise the MBP off of the bottom of the drawer if possible, and, if possible remove the back of the draw or cut out a large portion of it and you should be fine.

6. justit macrumors 6502a

I have 2 external firewire drives in a closed cabinet as I hate noise and it does get slightly hot. Opening your drawer slightly on occasion will help with air flow.