Advice on Legal Pursuit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcard, Jun 26, 2014.

1. mcard macrumors newbie

One of my friends was having trouble with her macbook pro and asked me for help multiple times last semester. Her RAM would unseat itself like once a week, even though she swore she didn't drop it. I fixed it every time, but about a month ago her laptop "crapped out" and she didn't let me know until she had bought a new one from Apple.

I learned all this after the two week return window was up:

Her laptop would not start up or charge, so she took it to Apple. They informed her there was water damage and that it would be $800 to send it to Apple to get it fixed. Since she was having so many issues with it, she decided to pay ~$300 more dollars for a new one.

When she asked if they could transfer her data/pictures over to the new laptop, they told her that the hard drive was corroded. She took it to a computer repair shop (non-authorized to deal with Apple) and paid them to transfer it over. They were able to do it no problem, so she contacted Apple managers at our local store who had initially told her it was impossible and complained to them about it. In recompense, they gave her an external hard drive to back up her new laptop and paid for her AppleCare. They asked her for her old charger, though, for trade. That's the part that is confusing to me.

Anyways, she gave me the "broken" laptop for all the help I gave her last semester, and I had it working within 4-5 hours. The battery indicator connector (the little green flashing lights on the side) is somehow broken. I unplugged that and it works perfectly. Also, her hard drive was in perfect condition. I ran disk utility repairs on it and everything. I actually had to remove all her old stuff from it myself. I checked all the components on the inside, and there was absolutely NO evidence of water damage. The logic board looks brand new.

Sorry for such a long post, but I need to know if she has grounds to ask Apple to review her case and possible reimburse her for making her think she had to buy a new laptop.

I'm wondering if she has a case, because there's no way they would have had to replace the logic board if they did send it off.

Any advice would be great.

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I don't see how she has a case. They didn't make her buy a new laptop. They offered a possible solution to her poblem and she declined. They also gave her a hard drive for free and paid for AppleCare.

If she had sent it to get the board replaced and it still didn't work, then maybe she'd have a case. But if the customer declines the service, the company should be off the hook. If my mechanic tells me I need a rear differential and I decline and go off to buy a new BMW, I can't expect him to pay for it.

3. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Not too sure you have a claim. The laptop was out of warranty in the first place, right? They probably saw that the water damage indicators were tripped and had a computer that wouldn't boot. Of course you can dig around and find out what on the logic board is wrong but it seems to be pretty standard from Apple to just replace most of the guts... You said it yourself, it took you 4-5hr to find it. It could very well have been water damage to components on the motherboard itself.

HDD corruption is hard to say. I've had corruption happen and somehow Ubuntu was able to see my whole drive clear as day when Mac OS couldn't see ****. It's also possible that the repair shop had some fancier HDD recovery tools and formatted the data back onto the drive so it looks ok.

Also, the indicator lights and ram de-seating aren't very common issues, I would actually suspect it was dropped even though she claims otherwise. Water damage is typically not evident by damage on the board, it's usually only the water tripping. I guess you could have a case concerning the water sensors being too sensitive, only in the case where they denied warranty because of it.

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Don't let this person touch ANY of your computers.

5. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

^This.

1. Your friend's old macbook had multiple and numerous problems
    3. As a result of Apple's diagnosis, she decides to have a 3rd party transfer/save her data.
    4. Apple gives her $400+ in Applecare and external hard drive. I'd love to know what she said to Apple to make that happen.

There is no case to be made that Apple should reimburse her for "making her think that she had to buy a new laptop."

If her old macbook is in as great condition as you say, and her new macbook is as new as you say, she can sell the new one for very little loss - she may even make profit since it now includes Applecare! :eek:

And she'd still have a free external hard drive to use with her perfectly-functioning old macbook.

No case.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Boy am I always happy when someone comes to a forum to seek armchair legal advice from armchair lawyers! I thrive on this, really.

OP: First, your friend took the MacBook into Apple and then Apple said it would be $800 to send it to Apple to fix it. You're at Apple…no sending needed.

That aside, what makes you think there is legal recourse for someone deciding to purchase a new machine? She had the option to fix it and decided not to. That's the end of the story really.

My armchair lawyer law book suggests that there is no legal standing here.

7. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Did you know you have rights??

----------

lol

8. Imaginator macrumors regular

No case. Your friend made the decision. Time to move on.

9. mcard thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured as much, I just thought I would see what y'all had to say. Sorry if it seemed entitled. I just felt bad for her because she's pretty deep in student loans. She'll be fine, though!

10. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

She needs to learn how to take better care of her MBP. Using it as a frisbee, or thinking dumping water or other liquids on it is ok shows she either doesn't care or doesn't understand it's not meant for that kind of abuse.

11. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

You don't even know what happened in the first place, no need to be a jerk about it.

12. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Actually "water damage" is a term too vague for judging users. It seems that even air umidity can harm a Macbook's logic board. Heck, Thinkpads from Lenovo usually are protected from spilling water/tea/coffee events. Dell offers insurance and Apple what it does? Says "you didn't take care of your Mac".