Advice on Mac Mini or other options for mom

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tstrayer, Jul 30, 2012.

1. tstrayer macrumors newbie

Hi,

My mother's aging iMac is dying and it appears to be the hard drive. I know I can replace the HD, but it looks like a lot risky work.

She needs a new computer soon and my immediate thought was to get her a Mac Mini given it's easily replaceable parts and the fact that we already have plenty of monitors/keyboards/mice to use with it. She will likely use it for the next 5 years so my thought was to buy her the most recent Mac Mini. I am looking to get her the most dependable computer that will serve her needs (internet/email/writing) for the next 3-5 years. I've also thought of getting her a used iMac (prices arent as close to mac mini) or MacBook Pro that I can just leave plugged into the monitor. Thoughts?

Looking at the MacRumors buyers guide, they say not to buy the latest mac mini because an update is imminent, does anyone know when this will be?

Just looking for some other opinions on what I should look into as far as getting her going with a new Mac ASAP are.

Thanks

2. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I'd say just stay with the Mini, because your mother obviously isn't a power user. If you really need it now, then buy it; the Mini won't become obsolete just because a new version comes out.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I agree with the poster above. The Mini would do just fine for her needs. I'd upgrade to 8GB RAM aftermarket for $35-40 to future proof it and make it good for the next 3-5 years.

One thing you might want to think about is that the Minis from this year don't have a CD/DVD drive. So if she uses one often, you'll need to get a USB external one. The Apple one is $80, but you can get one from Amazon for about $40.