Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hymato Yoshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
I have the opportunity to get this 5months old desk top with a 20" titanium display for a cheap price. I currently have a G5 Dual 2.3 with 12gb of ram. Do you think there will be a noticeable difference in performance over what I have already? Are the Quad core intel macs good? I never had much dealing with them.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Oh yeah. You will notice a significant performance advantage with the Intel Quad Core. And when Snow Leopard comes out and is only compatible with the Intel machines, you will again notice a significant jump in performance.

Go for it. You wont regret it :cool:

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
The difference is amazing. I purchased a base model quad-core in Dec '08. Compared to a dual G5 we have at the office, it runs great. The geekbench results out of the box was something in the 5700 range, while the dual G5 peaked at 1700. The G5 is slow, even when doing simple things like cruising the web or writing in NeoOffice. The quad-core is well worth it.

Hymato Yoshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Alright I think i'm gonna get it monday. It still had applecare left on it too. And my friend is gonna buy my G5 so it's totally worth it. Since I run 10.5.6 on my G5 I should have no problem swapping in my HD and booting up Right?

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
What are the first gen quads going for ?

Just picked up a 2.8 octo on business discount and it seems like the first gens are around 1500, depending on spec.

2.8 x 8 is wayyy to much for me, but I haven't found a reason to go with a earlier quad, as the warranties are usually almost up and they are only $400 or so less.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
No way can you pop in your hard drive and go. The G5 and Intel are totally different platforms and cannot understand the same code. You would be able to use the same applications, but need to use the intel version of OSX. But don't worry, your Leopard DVD will install on either Mac

Hymato Yoshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Great, More swapping out programs and backing up. ugh!

Will I be able to use migration wizard to copy most of my files? I have a 1.5TB in my G5 with alot of movies and music on it. what do you think would be the best way to transfer this stuff. Most of my apps I still have the .DMG's for so I should be good with those. i think lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.