Advice on MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chubbs75, Aug 22, 2013.

1. chubbs75 macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I used an a1181 mid 2007 MacBook till it died on me few months ago. I used it for daily stuff and run adobe creative suit and did hand coding. Also used it for occasional gaming.
    I'm thinking to buy a 13" Air.
    But I would like to know wether I should go for the 13" non retina MacBook Pro ?

Thank you for your advice

2. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    go for a rMBPro - you will never regret it :)

3. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Obviously The Haswell Air will be leagues faster than your old Macbook... But again, the Pro refresh is really near. You might want to wait if you can afford to.

4. chubbs75 thread starter macrumors newbie

When the new ones come out? I will need a laptop end of September. I think the Air is winning over the non retina Pro atm.

5. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

so why not make your choice at the end of september? nothing official has be announced. i wouldn't think the new pro would be coming out by then but you never know.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Less than 2 week before Sept. Do u need this for school? There is not another computer at home to use while u wait? If for school, you won't have time to deal with "stuff" that a new machine may throw at you, specially if you are the OCD type.

7. chubbs75 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I'm not in school. Going to relocate to another country and need laptop for daily life :)
    My Macbook died few months ago

8. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

got a Macbook Air and a 15 inch rMBP here. run cs6 on both of them, it runs much better in the 16 gb on the rMBP. These days the Air is used for travel and downloading photos for culling and maybe a bit of light editing. I'd wait for the refresh if you can. I don't understand why Apple can't release these things in time for school starting.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Since late 2010. the MBA has been my only computer; I travel a lot with it and do a lot of research and writing.

The main advantage of the Air is its sheer portability; if you travel, or commute, or need to have the computer with you when you are moving between places, then the Air is the computer to have.

If, however, your computer is simply going to sit on a desk, I'd suggest that you get the MBP. I would not recommend the 13" non-retina MBP - the air is a better computer; the 13" rMBP is an excellent computer with a superb screen resolution.

10. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

If your computer sits on a desk most of the time - like mine - then I don't think it really matters a lot what you get. I use a 23" monitor and external keyboard with my 11" MBA and it's great. But for the times that I travel, the MBA is terrific - so much more convenient than my old 15" MBP.

If I was in a situation where I had to stare at the laptop screen for very many hours a day, I would want a 15" laptop though.

11. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I love my Air and won't get a rMBP for awhile. The screen while gorgeous on the rMBP I don't see as a big factor. I sometimes forget that my MBA is even in my bag as it is so light.

Though it comes down to what you want. Make the decision yourself. I use my MBA for programming, web surfing, email, calendar and some occasional games like SCII. I run programs, the first 4 mentioned (programming, web, email and calendar), all day, every day and get roughly ~6 battery life though mine is 2012. I don't see it worth upgrading year.

12. chubbs75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I was really happy with my Core2Du 2.16 with 2GB ram and I didn't plan to buy new one for a while. And I never had any problem running Adobe CS on it I think the 13 MBa will do it for me