Advice on Macbook pro 13 inch hard drive replacement !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by APLUIS, Oct 26, 2010.

1. APLUIS macrumors newbie

Hi, i just replaced my macbook pro 13 inch hard drive which was a fujitsu 320gb 5400 rpm, replaced for a Western Digital 500gb 5400 rpm (wd5000bevt).

I am noticing this drive to be a little laggy every once in while it lags for 1 or 2 seconds, its really getting on my nerves, i read some other forums and it said to disable de sudden motion sensor which i did, i also follow this tutorial about the HDAPM ( http://mymacfixes.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-do-i-stop-clicking-noise-from-hard.html ). But i still feel my drive been a litte laggy sometime and getting the beachball every once in a while doing easy tasks like just surfing the web.

I might change my hard drive for a Hitachi 0A57915:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4604495&CatId=1277

Will this other hard drive solve this issue and having my macbook pro as good as with the old drive but with more space capacity?

here is another hard drive option its a Seagate Momentus ST9500325AS:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4319028&CatId=1277

One more thing, can i also upgrade to a drive bigger than 500gb ? maybe 640gb, and what about 7200 rpm ?

please help im going crazy with this problem people

2. APLUIS thread starter macrumors newbie

3. no3tic888 macrumors member

4. APLUIS thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems Pretty Cool Actually, What About The Vibrance And Noise Of Being A 7200 Rpm Drive? And Will This Hard Drive Work, Fit, And Connects Like Any Regular Hdd?

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you want it to be a little snappier, you could go with a 500GB 7200RPM drive. I'd recommend the WD scorpio black for that. You could also go with the Momentus XT if you want it to be a little faster, but that's about $25 more

6. APLUIS thread starter macrumors newbie

7. APLUIS thread starter macrumors newbie

and what about sudden motion sensor in the mac, ive read thE WD's ShockGuard technology makes conflict with the mac's sudden motion sensor.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Any hard drive will be compatible with the OS. It's just a matter of formatting, which you have to do for any OS, as drives typically come unformatted. I have a 320GB WD Black in mine and it does vibrate a bit more than my stock drive, but not a whole lot, and the noise is roughly the same. Any 2.5" SATA drive with 9.5mm or 12.5 mm height will work with your computer, just make sure to get it without the motion sensor.

9. AriGold macrumors member

10. APLUIS thread starter macrumors newbie

have any of you tried the momentus xt ?

will there be a significant change if using a 7200rpm drive like hitachi or seagate? regarding battery life, noise, and vibrance?

11. APLUIS thread starter macrumors newbie

12. no3tic888 macrumors member

Just install it. Boot from the install disk. Format and install OS X.

13. no3tic888 macrumors member

The Momentus XT is a 7200 rpm drive. Battery life is seemingly unchanged.

This is from one of Amazon's reviews:

I replaced my 500GB 5400rpm WD with this Momentus XT after doing exhausting research. I use my MacBoook Pro laptop for analytical work involving large datsets. Here is why I settled on the Momentus XT vs an SSD.

Momentus XT
    - 4GB SLC SSD integrated into the hard drive for speedy access commonly used files
    - Although not as fast as an SSD, but soooo much cheaper than 300GB+ of SSD space.
    - More vibration and a little more noise than my WD 500GB, but not significantly so.
    - Mac OS X doesn't support TRIM. I was concerned that a SSD drive would slow down significantly overtime without it.
    - Toms Hardware highly recommended it over other 7200 rpm laptop hard drives. See their review for all the techy details.

Note that the integrated SSD is used only for reading, not for writing. It essentially clones your commonly used files on the 4GB SSD.

If you are looking for a sweet spot between speed and space this is it. The Momentus has a 4GB SLC SSD integrated into the hard drive which allows for very fast reads of commonly used data. This translates into really fast application loading like an SSD. It uses a learning algorithm to decide what to store on the SSD so it takes some time to get to optimal performance.

Most people have a lot of data that is accessed infrequently on their hard drive. Thus an SSD is overkill since there isn't much benefit to to storing infrequently accessed on a really fast drive. If you are accessing almost all of your data all the time (like in a server application) then maybe an SSD is for you. For the rest of us there is the Momentus XT.

I am very particular about the noise with my MacBook Pro. The stock 250GB Seagate hard drive my laptop shipped with was virtually undetectable. When I tried the WD 1TB 5400rpm and WD 500GB 5400rpm, I was disappointed to find that they both made audible white noise like that of a small cpu fan. The Momentus 7200rpm makes slightly more noise than the WD drives, but not significantly so. It does produce more vibrations than the 5400rpm drives which you can feel if you put your hand on the laptop case, but I am willing to live with it for the performance gains. I deducted one star for the less than optimal acoustics.

Here are some performance specs from my MacBook Pro using Quick Bench. Note that these times do not reflect the benefit of the integrated SSD. There reflect only the performance of the hard drive portion. The throughput is similar to the WD 1TB 5400rpm which I also reviewed, but the random reading/writing is a bit faster.

QuickBench(TM) 4.0 Test Results
    Standard Test Results in MB/Sec

Averages:
    Seq. Read 70.815
    Seq. Write 59.756
    Ran. Read 17.265
    Ran. Write 30.618