Advice on Macbook Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OmegaTyrant, May 23, 2007.

1. OmegaTyrant macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

This is my first post but I have been looking through a lot of the topics on the forum. I recently did a short video editing project for a class at school and absolutely loved it! the problem is that I was using windows and I had to use a lot of different programs (windows movie maker etc.) to achieve the result I wanted.

This led me to want to buy a mac because I have used iMovie 4 and that was really easy to use. I also realize that I might take this to the next level. I have a tight budget (1600$ is pushing the limit) and no camcorder (I take my movies with a Samsung Digimax S500) and I want portability.

My question is, will the higher range macbook suit me fine? Will it be able to give me the flexibility to upgrade to say, Final Cut Express (when i get a camcorder)? Or should I try to save a little more money and wait for the new lower end Macbook Pro?

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Well, most non-3D apps thrive on processor and RAM, much more than the graphics card. The MacBook would also be more portable. Do you have a preference for the screen size?

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

My advice is save for the MBP; less chance for buyer's remorse and you know it'll be enough power.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Are you in high school, or college? If you're in high school, then wait a little longer and get the mbp when you have enough money. If you're in college, buy the mid white model using your EDU discount when the free iPod deal starts. If you don't need the iPod, sell it and use the money for more RAM and use whatever else you have left over for Applecare. So that will come out to:
    $1200 for macbook
    +180 for Applecare
    =1380 + tax

This leaves you with about $200 to spend on RAM, and you'll also get about $150-180 from selling the iPod.
    This is all if you find the mb is enough, otherwise, follow the advice of kuebby.

5. OmegaTyrant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the advice! I will definitely look into all those options. I am in college, so probably the MB white would be the best bet for now.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the education discount on a macbook pro at your school could be better than what's offered at the apple edu store. the low end macbook pro at my school is currently selling for $1699, and i expect that to drop $2-300 when the new models come out. the macbook pro surprisingly might be in your budget after all.

7. OmegaTyrant thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be pretty nice if I could get the low end pro. I'll wait until the new ones come out, maybe i can get refurbs for cheap as well.

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

Although a MB is a nice machine to run FCE on, what you're doing sounds like a good move.

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the MBP 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD sells for $1599 on the apple refurbished website. they are not always available but most of the time. when new MBP's are released then the will drop to 1499 or even less. an additional 1GB of ram is about $50 at OWC.

refurb macs are usually as good as brand new ones.