Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
I'm looking into buying a laptop and I think the MacBook will nicely fit my needs. I already have two iMacs (see sig) that I use as my maine machines and the MacBook will not see mayor/continuos use or abuse, that's why I think a PowerBook will be overkill. 13" screen sounds perfect as well as all other specs and dimension are just right for portability.

I rather have the white one over the black one, just for looks nothing else, but would like the extra space that comes with the 250 MB HD. I can order the white one with an upgraded HD to 250 MB and it comes cheaper than buying the black one (which comes stock with the 250 MB HD). This seems rather curious to me, so I was wondering if there's any other differences between the black and white one (I've reread the specs for both machines and it seems that the only difference is the size of the HD, everything else is exactly the same thing). Have I been misquoted on the price, or am I missing something here?

TIA

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
Order the model you want, with the hard drive it ships with. Then order a hard drive from a third party vendor. It will be loads cheaper.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I got a 2.16ghz stock then bought 4G RAM, 320 GB HD, & Speck See Through Case (everything shipped), all for less than the mid level MacBook from Apple.

stone315

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Halcyon: Apple charges you $100 for the black coloring. Nothing else. It makes zero sense, but that's how it's set up. So don't worry about buying the white, especially since you like the color better than the black, because it's exactly the same. I also recommend upgrading the hard drive yourself though, it's a lot cheaper.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Don't order user upgradable parts (RAM and Hard Drive) from Apple.

It's way cheaper to do it yourself (and it's easy to do, too).

I recommend ifixit.com for guides on the upgrades and newegg.com for ordering the parts.

MattKanzler

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
PA
once you upgrade them to the same specs? nope. No difference. Only the black casing. I spent the extra $100 for the black one. I just think it looks a lot cooler, plus I dont want a yellow macbook by the end of the year. :D

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Thanks guys. I'll purchase the 2.4GHz white MacBook and when the need arrives I'll get the higher capacity HD from a third party vendor.

One last question. I plan on purchasing the extended Apple Care, but is the warranty voided when you change the drive yourself?

TIA

nomad00

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
One last question. I plan on purchasing the extended Apple Care, but is the warranty voided when you change the drive yourself?

In my experience, the act of replacing the drive won't void the warranty overall - but they won't cover the 3rd party drive. So if you have a problem w/ something besides the hard drive, you'd be fine - but could replace it w/ the original before you sent it in to be safe.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Thanks guys. I'll purchase the 2.4GHz white MacBook and when the need arrives I'll get the higher capacity HD from a third party vendor.

TIA

No, in the MacBook, the hard drive is a user-replaceable part.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
If HD space is the priority, I agree you should get white one and then
order the new 320GB/7200 that just came out.

FuuFuu

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Roselle
also take into consideration, macbooks are provided with 5400 rpm hard drives. if you put a 7200 rpm hd, it might get really hot, as i think that is the reason why they don't put 7200 rpm hd on them.

iChrisG

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Sunny California
:apple:I would say the White for colorwise because Apple is going to be possibly changing the MacBook's soon to Aluminum so if you like the Plastic, get it now! Also, I mean the White is Apple! If you look at Black, you may think it could be a PC until you see the Apple logo. I personally like the White better because even though it can get a bit dirty, it doesn't show fingerprints.

Also, as other people has said, get the extra space from a third party. Much cheaper!

Buy happy, and enjoy it. :)

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
also take into consideration, macbooks are provided with 5400 rpm hard drives. if you put a 7200 rpm hd, it might get really hot, as i think that is the reason why they don't put 7200 rpm hd on them.

Once I made made mind to purchase the white model and upgrade the drive later on, I had in mind replacing it with a 7200 rpm unit but this seems to be an issue. Searching on other threads and forums many users have expressed their concern over the overheating that might occur if they installed a 7200 rpm disk...but nobody that has actually done it had intervened with an answer on any of these other threads. It would be positive to hear from somebody that has installed one in his machine.

Note: My wife is in Tennessee visiting relatives and they seem to have this early back to school special in which no sale tax is charge on consumer purchases in all retail stores...so she took a quick trip to Nashville and purchased it for me and saved like $160!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.