Advice on Macbook running on battery only?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 59LP, Mar 31, 2010.

1. 59LP macrumors newbie

Hi all

I've been offered a faulty Macbook (2ghz core 2 duo 120gig)

I haven't seen it in the flesh yet, but the owner tells me it powers up on battery power, but will not charge one, nor run from the ac adapter.
    The owner bought a new battery and was able to run the Macbook while charge remained.

I am a novice as far as Macs are concerned, but it sounds like a faulty ac adapter, or some issue with the mag port or internal electronics.
    Have any of you any advice on what this might be?

I realise worst case senario it may need a logic board, so will be purchasing it with that in mind.

Regards.
    Den.

2. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Give it a pass... Who needs these kinds of known problems to begin with???

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That pretty much covers all the possibilities. If it's the AC adapter then that's a simple fix, if it's the magsafe port or internal electronics it's an expensive repair.

4. 59LP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies :)

SoCalRich: It's cheap enough for me to consider it, even if it needs a logic board.
    If it's a lesser problem I will be delighted, but thought others here might be able to point me to something I hadn't considered.
    I also like computer puzzles and getting my hands dirty! lol

miles01110: Thanks for confirming my initial diagnosis, as I said above, I am preparing for the worst. As long as the physical condition is good when I do get see it, I probably will take it.
    Just wanted to go in eyes open, hence my post to the experts :)

5. 59LP thread starter macrumors newbie