advice on MBP refurb....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danielpicasso, Dec 2, 2009.

1. danielpicasso macrumors member

danielpicasso

All:
    I am pumped to get my first Mac since i had a Mac SE! Buying a refurb 13" MBP. Whats your advice on what options I should care about. I have basic needs, email, web, basic video, photo, itunes, iwork, and light art/graphics...i plan on getting extended applecare. Things like back lit keyboard worth it? Appreciate all input.... thanx

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As to the blcklit discussion, I use my computer in the dark all the time and don't use it. It's a personal preference. Depending on how "light" the graphics work is, all MacBook Pro's in the refurb store from the past year will easily handle your needs.

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I also don't really 'use' the backlit keyboard, as most of us in more recent generations were taught how to use home row. On the other hand, it has come in handy the odd time, and also looks super-cool. And the super-coolness of Mac's is usually a large factor when considering purchasing one. The 13" MBP will be find for your needs.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The tasks you listed will work just fine on any current Mac. The 13" MBP will be just fine for you.

I wouldn't even worry about upgrading up front, if I were you. It doesn't sound like you're going to do any heavy lifting, and you can always upgrade the HD and/or RAM down the road if you decide later that you need to.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

6. danielpicasso thread starter macrumors member

danielpicasso

This is $899:

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum
    13.3-inch 1280-by-800 pixel LED-backlit display
    2GB memory
    160GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Standard keyboard

7. danielpicasso thread starter macrumors member

danielpicasso

Done... bought a Mac-

Bingo- I really wanted firewire which pushed me to a MBP but found a refurb previous generation mb that has firewire thus didnt need to go to a MBP! and it was $749! its a done deal got it with magic mouse/iworks.... thank you all for the insight!

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

And don't buy your applecare directly from apple - you'll pay too much. Go for a reputable aftermarket source. Heck, even amazon carries it for about $70 less than apple (depends on which model you're buying for and prices fluctuate there).

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Sounds like its too late...

I know that seems like a good deal, but the previous MBs are nowhere near the build quality of the new macbooks or MBPs.

And the $899 one you linked to had no firewire.

You got MM and iWorks included in the $750 price? iWorks is $50 if you shop around: http://dealmac.com/Apple-i-Work-09-for-49-10-s-h/330490.html

Is there some reason you are so dead set on firewire?

10. danielpicasso thread starter macrumors member

danielpicasso

firewire on MB

Yes, i need fw for my canon dv 1080 camcorder...