advice on MBP refurb....

danielpicasso

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NJ
All:
I am pumped to get my first Mac since i had a Mac SE! Buying a refurb 13" MBP. Whats your advice on what options I should care about. I have basic needs, email, web, basic video, photo, itunes, iwork, and light art/graphics...i plan on getting extended applecare. Things like back lit keyboard worth it? Appreciate all input.... thanx

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
As to the blcklit discussion, I use my computer in the dark all the time and don't use it. It's a personal preference. Depending on how "light" the graphics work is, all MacBook Pro's in the refurb store from the past year will easily handle your needs.

Comment

Corrode

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I also don't really 'use' the backlit keyboard, as most of us in more recent generations were taught how to use home row. On the other hand, it has come in handy the odd time, and also looks super-cool. And the super-coolness of Mac's is usually a large factor when considering purchasing one. The 13" MBP will be find for your needs.

Comment

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
The tasks you listed will work just fine on any current Mac. The 13" MBP will be just fine for you.

I wouldn't even worry about upgrading up front, if I were you. It doesn't sound like you're going to do any heavy lifting, and you can always upgrade the HD and/or RAM down the road if you decide later that you need to.

Comment

danielpicasso

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NJ
Brand new 13" MBPs are $1050AR

Refurbs from apple are $999 + tax

Id probably rather have new for the extra $50 myself
This is $899:

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum
13.3-inch 1280-by-800 pixel LED-backlit display
2GB memory
160GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera
Standard keyboard

Comment

danielpicasso

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NJ
Done... bought a Mac-

Bingo- I really wanted firewire which pushed me to a MBP but found a refurb previous generation mb that has firewire thus didnt need to go to a MBP! and it was $749! its a done deal got it with magic mouse/iworks.... thank you all for the insight!

Comment

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
And don't buy your applecare directly from apple - you'll pay too much. Go for a reputable aftermarket source. Heck, even amazon carries it for about $70 less than apple (depends on which model you're buying for and prices fluctuate there).

Comment

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Bingo- I really wanted firewire which pushed me to a MBP but found a refurb previous generation mb that has firewire thus didnt need to go to a MBP! and it was $749! its a done deal got it with magic mouse/iworks.... thank you all for the insight!
Sounds like its too late...

I know that seems like a good deal, but the previous MBs are nowhere near the build quality of the new macbooks or MBPs.

And the $899 one you linked to had no firewire.

You got MM and iWorks included in the $750 price? iWorks is $50 if you shop around: http://dealmac.com/Apple-i-Work-09-for-49-10-s-h/330490.html

Is there some reason you are so dead set on firewire?

Comment

danielpicasso

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NJ
firewire on MB

Sounds like its too late...

I know that seems like a good deal, but the previous MBs are nowhere near the build quality of the new macbooks or MBPs.

And the $899 one you linked to had no firewire.

You got MM and iWorks included in the $750 price? iWorks is $50 if you shop around: http://dealmac.com/Apple-i-Work-09-for-49-10-s-h/330490.html

Is there some reason you are so dead set on firewire?
Yes, i need fw for my canon dv 1080 camcorder...

Comment