Advice on MBP

realtin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Hello everyone!

I am considering buying a new MBP and I was wondering if you could give me advice on where I should purchase it.

I am an educator in Ireland so have access to education discounts. However, I will be travelling to California next April and was wondering if it would be worth my while holding out until I head over there.

I hear that sales tax is high in Cali so am unclear on how much a shop bought MBP will cost.

Here is some cost analysis done on the Education store prices (Ireland) vs the US Apple store

13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (dual core)
Ireland: €1097, US: $1199, US Price in Euro: €920, Saving/Difference: €177

13" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz (dual core)
Ireland: €1371, US: $1499, US Price in Euro: €1150 Saving/Difference: €221

15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz (quad core)
Ireland: €1645, US: $1799, US Price in Euro: €1381, Saving/Difference: €264

15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (quad core)
Ireland: €1966, US: $2199, US Price in Euro: €1688, Saving/Difference: €278

I'm inclined to lean towards a 15" as it has a quad core processor.

I also have reservations about buying in the US as our power is different and I will need an adapter to use it.

Would love your advice and input :)

Particularly if anyone knows how much any of the above models would cost in California.

Realtin

Last edited:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hello everyone!

I am considering buying a new MBP and I was wondering if you could give me advice on where I should purchase it.

I am an educator in Ireland so have access to education discounts. However, I will be travelling to California next April and was wondering if it would be worth my while holding out until I head over there.

I hear that sales tax is high in Cali so am unclear on how much a shop bought MBP will cost.

Here is some cost analysis done on the Education store prices (Ireland) vs the US Apple store

13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (dual core)
Ireland €1097 US($) $1199 US Price in Euro €920 Saving/Difference €177

13" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz (dual core)
Ireland €1371 US $1499 US Price in Euro €1150 Saving/Difference €221

15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz (quad core)
Ireland €1645 US $1799 US Price in Euro €1381 Saving/Difference €264

I'm inclined to lean towards a 15" as it has a quad core processor.

I also have reservations about buying in the US as our power is different and I will need an adapter to use it.

Would love your advice and input :)

Realtin
you also have to worry about geting in back into ireland if you get caught at customs without any way to prove it was originally bought there than you can get another huge tax

realtin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
you also have to worry about geting in back into ireland if you get caught at customs without any way to prove it was originally bought there than you can get another huge tax
That's true, I hadn't thought of that...

Would still be interested to know the price differences in California anyway. Might buy an iPad3 either (hoping it'll be out by then!).

That'll be easier to smuggle! :D

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
That's true, I hadn't thought of that...

Would still be interested to know the price differences in California anyway. Might buy an iPad3 either (hoping it'll be out by then!).

That'll be easier to smuggle! :D
from what i can see sales tax in California is 9.7%

the store(shop) prices will the same as the US apple site

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.