Advice on Mini or iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bozley0621, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Bozley0621 macrumors 6502

I currently use a 15" MBP with a 1 TB hard drive for work and media use. I have almost maxed out my hard drive with media. Therefore, I'm considering getting a 13" MBA to use for work (I need a laptop for work) and either a Mac Mini with TB Display and 3TB external storage or iMac for media streaming and other household computer uses.

I've decided to go with the MBA since I travel for work, but a 13" screen is a bit small for every day use. The goal is to have an external display to use as the main screen for the MBA and to use as a secondary display to extend the desktop when necessary. Can the iMac be used for both of these purposes?

Otherwise, what are your thoughts on the iMac vs the Mini as a dedicated HTPC with some computing on the side?

2. Bozley0621 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. I know I can use it as a second display for mirroring. I'm still trying to determine if I can use the iMac in the new extended desktop mode with Mavericks.

3. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

The Mini is probably all the computer most people need. Sure it does not look as gorgeous as an iMac, and may lack a little in performance, but for most uses that is just academic. I am guessing storage is what you need more than raw computing power.

The current Mini comes with up to 1 TB of storage, or 2 TB with the server model, but that can be expanded by plugging in an external hard drive.

The big advantage with the Mini is that it is part of a modular system. When the time comes to upgrade for whatever reason, you just replace the computer, add storage, or whatever and keep the peripherals (which can also be up graded as and when needs dictate. With an iMac, an upgrade can mean replacing the whole system.

4. propower macrumors 6502a

From what you have said.
    Base mini and external drives or NAS.

Imac only if you really prefer the built in monitor (base mini 21.5" is plenty)

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The extended desktop mode works on any display.

6. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

If you already have a decent monitor, keyboard and mouse then by all means go for the Mac Mini, but if you don't then the iMac is by far the better choice.

Personally I don't think anything can beat the iMac as an all-round package, especially seeing as the iMac has an excellent display built in, and an equivalent display (Thunderbolt) costs >$1500

7. Bozley0621 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. I don't have a dedicated display...all I have is the magic mouse. I would need to buy the TB Display, mini, mini Stack for more storage, and a keyboard. I have decided on a refurbished iMac that should be here on Tuesday. I'm so excited!