Advice on my car - Melting/exploding rear lights.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mgartner0622, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mgartner0622, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hello-
    Well, I don't really belong to any other forums besides this one, so I figured I might as well give this a shot.
    Anyways, one of my cars is a 1998 Toyota Camry LE. It's the 2.2 Liter inline 4 cylinder. I just checked the rear lights, and they all are black and have melted the holders that hold them into the actual lights, and two bulbs have actually exploded, leaving glass shards throughout the light. There are 3 lights per rear brake light, and all 6 (both sides) have melted the socket, as well as the surrounding area.
    Don't get me wrong, this car isn't perfect, but I really have not had any other problems besides an issue with the turn signals which is noted below, as they could be related.
    What would happen, is the turn signals would flash really fast, exactly as if a bulb was burnt out. However, all the turn signals would be working (albeit flashing rather quickly) , and the hazards would work fine and run at the normal speed. I then noticed that if I smacked the front fender area, the turn signals would start working normally again. This problem resolved itself about two months ago, although it usually seems to happen when I drive through a few inches of snow, which it being summer at the moment I have not had to do lately. :)
    All this seems to be related to the exterior electrical system, everything on the inside has worked great since the car was new. The car has been garaged all its life, and has previously lived in Palm Springs, CA, so corrosion is probably not an issue. Here in Colorado it is parked in a heated garage.
    Anyways, if anyone has any advice, I would be very appreciative.

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

You can probably find a Toyota forum that will give you better help...

My guess is that the bulbs are not the correct type, you're drawing too much current. That would explain much of what you describe, although not all of it.

3. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Above poster is right. The bulbs that were in the housing weren't the right wattage.

4. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yep. I just joined toyota nation to post the same question. No answer as of yet
    The lights are original to the car... so they have not been changed.
    It's a puzzling question, but I think i'm going to get some very low wattage bulbs, replace the light housing, and see if that does the trick.
    Thanks for the advice!