Advice on my new Imac please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fonz500, Nov 12, 2007.

1. fonz500 macrumors member

I have Linksys wireless router and I bought an iMac about 3 weeks ago. It was almost impossible to get my router to work with my new Imac. Then a Linksys tech person got me to "Clone my Mac address" and it worked.

I didn't use my computer for a few days so it went to sleep or whatever. Then the next time I tried to get online it wouldn't let me. It was like I just tried setting up my router all over again. Except that my router setting didn't change at all. Some how after about 2 hours of trying, the diagnostic test worked and I was able to get online again.

Is this a problem with AirPort and wireless routers when the computer goes to sleep???? I thought I remembered reading a few threads about this right when Leopard was released, but I can't find them.

Any advice??????

2. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Is the wireless radio connected? If no then connect.

If it shows connected and no internet I just disconnect and reconnect the wireless.

At this point -if available check -another machine on the network. If the other machine has no connectivity skip troubleshooting the machine and focus on the router. Is the router giving out IPs? If so, is the internet source down?

If still no internet after reconnecting to wireless I'll pull up system prefs and look at the wireless connection's IP to see if I have an internal or external IP. Internal IP's (this means IP's from within the computer itself) start with 168 and tell you right off you aren't getting an IP from outside. If you do have an external IP such as 192.168.x.x chances are your router is fine and your internet provider or cable/DSL modem is having issues.

If 168 IP then click on renew DHCP.

If still no IP, reboot router.

If still no IP reboot computer.

You should have an IP now. If not you'll want to check the router config. You should be able to interface with it using an ethernet cable. If you can't connect to the router, reset the router to factory. If you still can't of course verify with another computer to see if there's a computer network hardware problem. If neither machine can connect to the router, the router is wonked.

It's all about following a logical path. Typically at the beginning of trouble shooting take the easiest/quickest approach, and if that fails it's time to get systematic about it.

Internet provider>cable/dsl modem>router (assigns IP's to each machine on the network) > individual machines.

3. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

My girl just called from home and said the internet is not working again !!!

I just switched to Mac, but I might be returning the Imac and getting a Dell or something because it's getting a little ridiculous.

The router is fine because my PS3 and 360 both work fine on it.

Here is a basic description of what is happening:

When I do a diagnostic test I click on Airport and it is saying that the airport is fine, but it doesn't find the IP address. I select my network name and still nothing. I can even get online by selecting a different wi-fi signal that is close to me too. It's obviously something with my Linksys router that does not work well with my Mac.

I try unplugging the router...etc. but it just seems so wierd that it goes off like that.... It's also very annoying, because then I have to hear from my girl about that we spent $1500 on a computer that won't get online some of the time, when I can still get online on my PS3.

By the way, when I am not connected to the internet Safari will NOT let me put in the 192.168.1.1 in the address bar to get to my router settings.

Anybody please help???

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Have you checked to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your Linksys? I had been having problems over the past couple of months, which became more of an issue when I installed Leopard. In doing some research on the problem I learned that my particular router needed a firmware update. I didn't bother doing that, though, because in the meantime I had purchased an Airport Extreme Base Station. I have since installed and am now using the AEBS with great success. So first, check to see if there is a firmware upgrade available and install that....

5. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I called Linksys when I first bought the computer and they told me that they did not have support for Mac's at this time.

6. gbolahanadefila macrumors newbie

solution to our linsys wireless router

we have been using a linksys wirless router in our office for about a month now.just this morning we couldn't connect to the internet, i also tried logging in into the router and was unable to.
    could some, please tell me what to do.

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Change the wireless channel on which your router broadcasts. You should not need to clone your MAC address... I always find the techs tell you to do that, but it never really really needs it.

I have run into interference or a Mac's wifi card just not liking a certain channel with a certain company's router.

Give that a try it might solve all of your woes. Latest Firmware might be good too.

8. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

LOL wow I didn't even realize this thread was from a long time ago.

Anyways, give what I said a shot.