Advice on my planned Mac Pro configuration

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by StevenCNYC, Mar 4, 2009.

1. StevenCNYC macrumors newbie

I'm migrating from PC to Mac. I've had my XP desktop for over six years. Part of my motivation in getting a mac pro is to have a more future-proof computer that I can again keep for a long time. Also, I do amateur photography and use PhotoShop and LightRoom and would like ample power and RAM for them (I shoot in RAW on a Canon 40D so the files can be largish).

I'm a bit of a novice, but I have gotten lots of advice and feel like I have a pretty good configuration. I would like to get some further opinions and perspective. Also, I have a couple lingering questions.

My plan is to get two 1TB drives and configure them in a RAID 1 for data security.

Here is what I have in mind:

Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    12GB (6x2GB)
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512M
    Two 18x SuperDrives
    AppleCare plan.
    AirPort Extreme
    ProCare
    VMWare Fusion
    MS Windows (Vista 64 bit) (to run MS Office and some other programs that I already have as PC versions and need for work)

While I'd welcome general feedback, my key questions are:
    1) Is the 2.26 octo good enough? Why would I want to spend $1400 to upgrade to 2.66?
    2) I have seen advice about getting a third HD as a boot disk if you have a RAID. Is this important?

Otherwise, I'm excited to be switching to Mac and to get a great machine that should last me a long time with plenty of room to expand RAM or otherwise adapt to future needs.

Thanks!

Steven

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Don't buy HDDs from Apple. Keep the stock 640GB and buy three MORE 1TB drives for LESS than the cost to get the first drive upgraded and add an additional one.

3. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

i also believe u can get 16 gb (8x2gb) for 290ish from http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

instead of upgradin through apple