Advice on new External HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by littlebudha, Aug 9, 2011.

1. littlebudha macrumors newbie

I needed to purchase a new external HD for my MacBook Pro. I want it primarily for Aperture and iMovie as I've already burned through 250GB of HD space for these 2 program libraries. Wanted to see if anyone else is using an external drive and how their experience is with these 2 programs.

2. YEEZY macrumors member

I got a WD Elements 2TB External HD for my Macbook Air because I figured I needed space and something to backup all my info.

I do some video editing and production on the side and each project can take up to 100+gb sometimes, but I usually delete the clips after I render the video. It's nice having those files on your computer, but an external is necessary if you are doing video editing because you need to keep records of what you've recorded.

3. littlebudha thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response... I forgot to mention I would prefer a portable or mobile drive and something that's fast.

4. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

If you want fast, portable and available right now, you need to go FW800.
    G-Tech has a portable model that I've used. It's pretty nice. If I were buying now, I'd probably get something from Other World Computing. They have a wide range of portable drives, including bare enclosures so you can insert your own drive.

5. YEEZY macrumors member

Yes, if you want fast and portable, then definitely get one of the FW800 models. Might be pricey, but suitable for what you want and very well built.

6. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I'm on the same boat. Need a 1TB Portable external hard drive w/ Firewire 800 that's bigger than my current 500gb FW800 one one. This isn't for back-up purposes and since the cheaper USB 3.0 doesn't seem to be supported with my mid-2010 MacBook Pro i5 seems this is my only choice. I think our only options are:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go ($165)
    and
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/EliteALmini/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB ($168 for the 1tb or $249 for the 1.5TB (which I think is too pricey for now)

Anyone know which one I should go with?

7. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

8. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

How does the Air handle the video editing? Any problems or hiccups or ??

Oh, and which MBA is it?

Thanks.

9. Techcomm macrumors newbie

I would recommend the G-Technology mini drive if you're looking for a portable. Very solid construction. I love mine.

10. treestar macrumors 6502

Everyone already has the right idea -- I just want to add my +1. G-Tech drives are great, better than LaCie and WD. I even tried a Glyph but sent it back and got two G-Techs. I use a G-Tech G-RAID mini. It's great over FW800 and especially portable because it uses bus power. It has a rugged design and even a little fan on the bottom to keep the drives and controller cool. I have a G-SPEED Q for my primary storage. It's built of an insane 1/8" aluminum one-piece body. I'd recommend any G-Tech drives, but the G-RAID mini and G-DRIVE mini are bus powered so you should get one of those. I think G-Tech also makes a few external SSDs.

G-Tech drives are especially cheap at B&H, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/.

I read a lot of bad reviews about LaCie drives. The controllers would fail at a pretty high rate. I didn't like the Glyph drive because the warranty wasn't worth it with a RAID 1 set and the build quality wasn't as good as the reviews say.

As for use, I don't do video, but I do audio and graphic design. The drive is definitely as fast as FW800 will allow. It even has an eSATA port, which you probably can't utilize, but it's there and it works.

There are some budget options out there, like OWC and a bunch of plastic enclosed drives on Newegg and Amazon. Some get bad reviews; some are probably as reliable as the disks inside. G-Tech is not the cheapest option you can find, but I can say I've tried them and have been satisfied. They have a great warranty and since Hitachi owns G-Tech, you get a little discount on the disks. It might cost 10-15% more, but you get some piece of mind.

11. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

What do you guys think about the Seagate GoFlex with FW800?

I'm considering this since it has a 7200rpm drive & also has a driver that allows me to use with mac/pc without any file size restrictions (i think at least).

Anyone used these before?

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't believe that Seagate uses 7200rpm drives in their GoFlex line. I think their portable line uses 5400rpm drives and the desktop line uses 5900rpm drives.

13. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

I have a GoFlex and i thought that it had a 7200 rpm drive?

14. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I can't seem to find the information concretely, but his post made me do some research. From what I gathered:

GoFlex Pro and Turbo have 7200rpm drives. The others do not. But again, i'm not 100% sure of this.

Can I ask, do you like the goflex as a ext. hdd? Do you use the FW800 adapter? Is there any size restriction if you are transferring files from mac to hd or pc to hd?

Appreciate any input.

15. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    ^ well I'm convinced and about to pull the trigger on the G-Technology G-DRIVE 1TB External Hard Drive w/ eSATA, USB 2.0, Firewire 400, Firewire 800 Interfaces 0G00199 from Amazon for $185. You mentioned B&H Photo but they only have the G-Technology 1TB G-RAID mini Portable Hard Drive Array not a 1TB g-drive. It's $20 more than the OWC options, but with a vouch like this, seems it's the way to go.